#1 workingdee

workingdee

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

So, I delayed starting the Scarab Beetle series for a really long time because I was afraid it would be too similar to the Ghostbird series and I didn't want to take away from Sang and the boys at all. I was worried the uniqueness of their situation would lose some of that special quality.  

I was having Academy withdrawal about a week ago, so I finally decided to open my copy of Thief.  I was pleasantly surprised that it did not diminish Sang's story and I enjoyed the occasional mentions of Luke and the guys.  I was a little frustrated with Kayli  but I understood it was the first book and she only just met everyone so she didn't know where she stood.  I'm on to Liar (30%) and I am really really frustrated with her.  To the point that I haven't touched the book in about 5 days.  

My question to you all is, will she eventually make up her mind to trust the academy or is she going to continue to play both sides.  Ok, I guess I don't really want to know that answer.... it's a bit spoilery.  I guess.... will she keep frustrating me or is she going to get her act together?  I was sympathetic initially but I feel like she has some real loyalty issues and it's hard for me to read. It's not like she is as young and innocent as Sang so I'm having a harder time making excuses for her.  

I want to keep reading the series because I do like the concept an C.L. has not let me down with Ghostbird but I just don't know about Kayli.  The guys are all good though.

Sorry for the early morning rambling. ;-)

• Khaleesi, bri, northstar33 and 1 other like this

#2 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Ok.... So you're it going to like my answer. But here it is:

I actually like Kayli quite a bit. She is the more believable character to me. Placing myself in the same situation, I'd not be quick to trust anyone fully either, especially if they were a bunch of good looking, smart, talented, and interested guys. I'd question everything they did, wondering when they were going to let me down or hurt me. Her past has taught her not to trust. She is going with that and I can't blame her. I mean, (if it were me....) I'd be wondering if they are just using me. Why else would this group of guys be helping me? And are they really helping me or just acting like it so I will stick around? Plus, she knows that they are not being open and %100 honest with her. That doesn't exactly breed trust either.

So no, she still doesn't fully trust them as of book three. Why would she? Ias of book two, it's been less than two weeks she has known them. Who trusts someone fully after only two weeks? Who trusts someone fully after only a month??
  • AcademyDevoted and northstar33 like this
Kota loves me. I love him. We make a beautiful couple

Our babies will be so smart.

#3 workingdee

workingdee

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

I guess what really gets me is that she seems to trust Blake too much when he already has proven that he doesn't tell her the truth and is definitely kind of shady.  It's the Blake thing that get's me. I feel like she's not thoroughly questioning everything.  I'll try to stick it out and maybe whatever it is specifically that seems off about her will make more sense to me.  

Thanks for replying to me though BLTS!  I"ll keep in mind the short time span that is being covered too.

• Khaleesi, AcademyDevoted, bri and 1 other like this

#4 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

I think the reason she connects with Blake is because he is on the same page as she is about the Academy. They have a common mistrust in them. I think that is what bonds them. But I can't stand Blake. I know I'm supposed to like him, but I can't. I really tried.... For like ten minutes. But I don't like him. Maybe the next book will change my mind. But I doubt it. I reeeeally don't like him.
  • AcademyDevoted, northstar33, 9for1 and 1 other like this

#5 9for1

9for1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

This is an interesting thread. :)

I read Thief first. I thought it had potential, struggled a little with the concept . 

I had read the reviews and they all said it was not as good as The Academy.

I read Introductions. 

Wow!!! :D

It was like being on another planet!!

It was slick, smooth,heartwarming,touching,intriguing etc....

It took me two reads of it to decide if I wanted to read more books because of the reverse harem concept.

I struggle with the SB books. I like them but I'm more interested and excited by the GB books.

Kayli. I struggle with Kayli. :mellow:

I think that she has been thrown into a completely different world within a matter of minutes. Her world has been turned upside down so quickly.

The mall scene instantly shows that not everything you see is real. Pretzel boy, Red jacket guy, you get the idea...

Whilst Kayli has had a difficult life, its probably been constrictive  and repetitive to say the least..

Who would she trust?

Herself.

Kayli only trusts herself and at times Wil. Wil has become the brother she thought she knew but now....

I would like to see more of her trust issues explored. She needs to connect more for this to work.

If you think of  Sang verses  Kayli, there's no contest in who's relationship is going to work better with their team. :)

• northstar33 and BLTS like this

"What does your heart tell you?"    Aragon, "Return of the King."

#6 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

I agree! Sang's life made her humble and hopeful. kayli's life made her cynical and hard. What they both need to grow is love. It'll come.
  • northstar33 and 9for1 like this

#7 9for1

9for1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

I agree! Sang's life made her humble and hopeful. kayli's life made her cynical and hard. What they both need to grow is love. It'll come.

Ahhhhh, that was beautiful and poetic. :)

I just hope that C.L. doesn't throw a curveball regarding Kayli! :unsure:

#8 Alphagirl

Alphagirl

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:48 AM

I really like this thread. I think that it shows a lot about everyone who replied. I personally like Kayli. I have found her to be more believable (but I love Sang.) I also like how they are so different. I think that it is really going to help with understanding the Academy or seeing how they handle different situations.  

I also think that we are farther along with Sang than we are with Kayli. I canโ€™t wait to see what happens with Kayli and the boys AND Blake.

P.S. I also like Blake

• Stephanie S F, BLTS and 9for1 like this

#9 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:25 AM

I'm happy for Blake that he has people in his corner! I'm sure he has good reason for being the way he is. :)

I also love how different the two birds are. Not everyone response to the same situations the same way. I used to be very much like Sang for YEARS! Then the straw came that broke the camels back and I became much more like Kayli; angry, cynical, and detached. So I get them both. And I like them both.

Sang is also younger, and when her world fell apart, there was someone there to catch her. Kayli was on her own.
  • northstar33 and 9for1 like this

#10 9for1

9for1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

I agree totally BLTS! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I still believe that all of us avid readers normally find (to some degree,) a common thread that we relate to within certain characters.
As emotional beings we are always seeking that connection, even if we don't realise it.

Sang has been vulnerable and is always willing to sacrifice herself emotionally and physically for others.

Kayli I agree is cynical. She, like Sang, has tried to free her bonds,but being older than Sang she has a different journey ahead.๐Ÿ˜ฎ
  • savvy and LovinGBseries like this

#11 sweetone6812

sweetone6812

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

I like Kaley, but she frustrates the mess out of me.  I don't like Blake, but he still keeps popping up and she still calls on him.  Trust, like everything takes time and I'm hoping that Kayley will get there soon.  

I love Sang and how she adjusts to things.  Her progression is great and I love how her confidence and the boys confidence in her is developing.  I just can't wait for them to get her from under her father and step-mother.  

I would also like for the next book to be out tomorrow.  

• BLTS likes this

#12 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:28 AM

almost there for Accesssory. I don't want to wait until October for THPOS.
  • sweetone6812 and Stephanie S F like this

#13 workingdee

workingdee

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

I'm still plugging away... I find I can tolerate her better if I scan through some of the passages.  I understand the uncertainty but she definitely reveals too much, IMO.  So far, Blake has literally done nothing that seems even remotely trustworthy for her to be divulging any information to him.  Hopefully, by the end of Liar I will feel better about her.

#14 kerrys1976

kerrys1976

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I agree with some others. I like Kayli better than Sang too. She is more believable and has a good personality. I find Sang kind of bland. And I do like the Scarab Beetle books better, they move along faster since the characters are older. And it is also more believable. Come on 9 guys and 1 girl? Would never happen in a million years, not enough days in the week. At least Kayli will only have 5. Even that sounds outrageous but what can you do? I hope some of Sang's men (like the older ones!) find a girlfriend or wife to settle down with. It's creept that they are into a 16 year old girl. Ick.