#1 MrsAndisMom

MrsAndisMom

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:50 AM

I figure this is like throwing matches on gasoline, but does anyone else have problems actually LIKING Kayli?  I'm trying so hard to like this girl but my palm starts itching to slap her or shake her until her teeth rattle. The only time I like her is with the academy guys. I LOATHE her with Blake. 

In all honesty I only keep reading SB for Raven. I keep hoping she'll grow on me.

• purplecherryblossom, Crystal_Sky, 9for1 and 1 other like this

the unwritten rule : "You do what you have to for Family."

#2 purplecherryblossom

purplecherryblossom

The Anti-Hugger

• Administrators
  • 525 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

sings "you are not alone.."  I have a really hard time liking her too!  She just really gets on my nerves with her attitude and behavior!  shhh! don't tell! lol

• 9for1 and MrsAndisMom like this

#3 needmoremonkeys

needmoremonkeys

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:09 AM

I haven't been able to like her either.  Her attitude keeps irritating me.  I know that some people are just prickly but she crosses the line and I have a hard time seeing the positive things about her.

• MrsAndisMom likes this

#4 Rul1

Rul1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

I was ok-ish with her during the first book because I thought her attitude was a more of a defense mechanism and would fade some....but it only seems to have gotten worse. I've gotten to the point that I just don't really like her much either.  

• MrsAndisMom likes this

Rule1: Trust your family ~ Rule2: Family is a choice

#5 MrsAndisMom

MrsAndisMom

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

I'm so glad its not just me.  I actually kinda like her when he's with the Academy guys, but toss Blake in the mix and I want to strangle her.  I'm struggling through Accessory right now.  Its killing me.

#6 emross1931

emross1931

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:20 PM

So I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. 

Now I'm not saying that I haven't had problems with Kayli in the past, but I gotta say that I feel like people compare her to Sang too much. And when people compare her to Sang, they aren't willing to look past Sang to understand the point in Kayli.

Sang is a very innocent person, who had a childhood that was very isolated. She's sweet, and kind, and very feminine. And in a scenario that were very unlikely to find in real life (at least that we're aware of, cause after all- ghost).

Kayli also had a hard childhood, but she's also more realistic. And she is a former thief, and she has had to deal with physical abuse. And she has had to protect her brother, and drop out of school to help out, and live in a hotel with a rat-bastard landlord. And fear everyday that her brother would be taken away and the police would come for her. She also has almost gotten killed several times over the past few books, all the while living with people who she doesn't know if she can fully trust- they kept her from receiving phone calls from people just this past book.

And yet... people want her to have a better attitude... 

Huh...

Now, I've sort of gotta say it: double standard. Because if this were Sang, I bet more people would be willing to look past her attitude.

But here's the real problem ( as I see it- I'm not saying that there aren't other legitimate problems out there, I just think this is one of them, though maybe not for everyone) : 

When we look at someone like Sang, we see all of her actions through the scope of an awkward, inexperienced girl who doesn't know a lot about life because of how horrible it has treated her, and because of this we feel sympathy and understand her anger and her holding back things. But if we look at someone like Kayli, who has this realness to her because her story is one that is more common and possibly more relatable because more people have gone through stuff like that than finding out that they had all of Sang's backstory- when we look at someone like her, we forget in the middle of their story that they are in pain because most of the time, they go past it. Think of Mercy Thompson from Patricia Briggs' series, or Clary from "The Mortal Instruments". They've horrible things happen to them, but when you read the books, they might only mention them at the beginning, and then you just have to remember from there on out that that happened, and take it into consideration when you look at their actions.

With Sang, it's a constant reminder because of how she acts. With Kayli, people forget and get angry because she's acting like someone who has gone through the things that she has. I wouldn't expect anyone on this site to not be angry or pissed or distrustful if I knew that they had gone through what Kayli has, so why are we expecting her to?

So maybe you're really angry or pissed at me right now for writing this. Or maybe something else- I'm not going to give a detailed list here. But maybe next time you read the books and you come across a scene that makes you angry, maybe you should just think about how much stress she's gone through in the past two months in this series, and also consider how crappy it would feel to be in her shoes.

• Helloud, mrenee16, Kat83 and 4 others like this

#7 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Crazy between books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

I probably shouldn't comment since I haven't read any of the SB books but I do read all the SB posts here. I have to ask, is Kayli growing or changing? I never hated Sang but I did begin to get annoyed with her high degree of internal angst. She is a survivor and very smart so I disliked that she so instantly went to her weakest point for so long. However there were flashes of her strength from the beginning with that side growing. If Kayli is also a smart survivor who instead became rough and abrasive to survive, I can understand that but just like my feelings toward Sang's internal angst, is Kayli changing and showing more sides to herself as the series moves on? Is she growing and changing? That is part of what I am enjoying about GB, Sang's journey and growth helped along by and with these great guys in great stories.

If your dislike for Kayli is because of her starting point in the series, are you less willing or able to see her changes or is it not happening? I've said from the beginning that I'll go through most, if not all, of GB's 20 book arc before I consider starting SB or any fan fiction, but I'll be waiting to see if Kayli evolves. Why follow her journey if we don't like where she's going? C.L. usually has her reasons for things long before we see them. I suspect the same might be true for Kayli. I'm hoping the SB series wasn't just for a steamier side of Academy guys with Kayli being the added bird who C.L. felt had to be very different from Sang.

#8 purplecherryblossom

purplecherryblossom

The Anti-Hugger

• Administrators
  • 525 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

I dont compare Sang and Kayli, they are completely different stories. I take into account the things she has been through but I still think she handles things badly and she chooses to have a bad attitude. Now that being said I do have high hopes that she will grow with her relationships with the boys :D
  • AcademyGirlEllie likes this

#9 AcademyGirlEllie

AcademyGirlEllie

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:19 AM

You are definitely not alone, I can not stand her even when she is with the academy guys..  I don't compare her with Sang but there is still something about her that I can not like which makes it that much harder for me to love the books, It has nothing to do with the Guys or CL's writing just with her.. Can't stand her

• needmoremonkeys likes this
Ellie

I need new Spoilers like I need air!

Αγαπώ τα αγόρια Ακαδημία

#10 Rul1

Rul1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:29 AM

I actually read the SB books first, so I didn't have anyone to really compare Kayli to at the start. And maybe I don't give her situation enough thought when dealing with her attitude. Maybe I have too much of a hard time putting myself in her shoes.....And maybe I'm biased because of her reminding me of someone I grew up with that I just didn't like much. Idk.
Her story did bring me into The Academy world. But her character still just bugs me a lot.
  • purplecherryblossom, AcademyGirlEllie and needmoremonkeys like this

Rule1: Trust your family ~ Rule2: Family is a choice

#11 ~C~

~C~

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

At first I didn't like Kayli, but as the books went on she grew on me and I understood her actions. But then in the last book of ghost bird series where Sang comes across Kayli, she is acting like a spoilt bratt not willing to give anything a try and I honestly wanted to give her a slap and shake her out of it. She was acting alot younger than Sang in that scenario and very immature just because she didn't like being there. Whilst Sang hated it at first due to her shyness and anxiety but still manged to try and ended up enjoying it. When it comes to Kayli's book on the camping trip it be interesting to see how it is from her point of view and why she was acting out, perhaps if she thought she acted a certain way then she won't be in the academy and able to leave early? (Who knows.) Both the girls to me have their faults like for example, Sang can be so nieve when it comes to the guys when they get turned on. She doesn't realise that they do and wonders why some of her actions with them e.g, sitting on their laps and moving about or biting and kissing in bed sometimes makes them moving away from her. And she wonders why but never thinks the most obvious reasons. I know that's part of her sheltered life but even then I thought she would understand to a point because she does understand about sex even if the information is very limited. I think the guys don't help either trying to keep it from her.
~C~

#12 Kat83

Kat83

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

I don't know why everyone is so mad. I LOVE Kaylie. While I love Sang, too , I find her to be too meek and she focuses on all the wrong things sometimes. I know Kaylie is bossy and can be selfish, but the girl knows what she wants and says it. You gotta admire that. Blake needs someone to take him down a peg or two. I love Blake, but he is an arrogant butt sometimes. I HATE Axel. I would not be sad if he just went away. Brandon is not my favorite either. I love Corey, Raven and Marc. But, to me, SB wouldn't even be worth reading without Kayli's brass. She is, like Sang said, a female North. I can respect that. She is a strong and stubborn female character and I love her. And had I been in Kaylie's shoes at the camp I might have done the same thing she did. I think she did it out of fear. She has B;ake to think about as well as the SB boys. And honestly the SB boys are not as supportive as the GB boys. And Sang doesn't have as much..."wordly experience?" as Kaylie. And remember, it was also Sang's first instinct to do what Kaylie did. And she got lucky with the "scared of girls" thing. The council would have worked hard otherwise to separate her from the GB boys.

• mrenee16 likes this

#13 bri

bri

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

For me, I like Sang a lot more just because I relate to Sang more. I understand that in a way Sang's story is less likely than Kayli's, but for the most part, Sang hasn't been physically abused, it's been more emotional. Part of it is because I'm adopted, so Sang is currently going through somewhat of an identity crisis of "who am I?" since she doesn't know her mother, so I relate to that to a certain extent. However for me, I feel like Sang is easier to relate to, because her scars are on the inside, and I feel like many people have certain internal scars, not necessarily from family, but from friends or people at school, and to an extent people who suffer from emotional damage may not be as completely isolated as Sang was, but that they feel that way about themselves. I feel like Sang's story is just an exaggeration or hyperbole for the feelings a lot of kids have about themselves, of not being good enough, or strong enough, of feeling neglected about the ones they love and just wanting to feel included or accepted, of not knowing who they are or where their place in the world is. Kayli has had a very dark past involving physical abuse, and she has the scars to prove it, and I understand her anger and independence, however, I think for me, her attitude is too rash and she doesn't think things through enough. I haven't read all of the Scarab Beetle series, mainly because I felt as if Kayli hasn't grown as a character less, she hasn't started thinking harder about her decisions or thinking about their consequences and still acts very rashly. For me, and I will admit there have been more Ghost Bird books and that this may change in the future, Sang has grown more as a person, she's been more willing to accept her faults and to move forward and become a better person. For me, I just don't think Kayli acknowledges that she's done something wrong, or acted too rashly, and everyone just goes along with what she does because it usually works out for the most part in the story. This may change in the future, but what I really want is for some growth from her as a character.

I understand different people will have different opinions though, and some will relate to Kayli more or like her more as a character, while others will prefer Sang, it's more a personal preference than anything, and I'm hoping in the future to read more of the Scarab Beetle series, because I actually really do like most of the guys, I'm not huge about Blake, but I adore all the others. It just may take me more time to get invested into the series than it did for the Ghost Bird series. 

• purplecherryblossom, LovinGBseries and ~C~ like this

the cutie in my display picture is bang yongguk, leader, composer, and rapper of b.a.p <3

#14 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:47 PM

Muahaha time to rant about Kaily.

I LOATHE Kaily with Blake too. I don't think I've ever read about someone as anoying as him. I want him out of the picture so badly. 

About Kaily: I don't want another Sang. I've tried to read other reverse harem books with similar heroines and just didn't work for me. So why would I want Kaily to be a Sang wannabe?

I don't mind her attitude. What bothers me and makes me want to slap her are her actions and way of thinking. She's impulsive when she should be a little smarter, if she almost died was precisely because of that and her awful spy skills. She's not loyal because she's always snitching to Blake about Academy stuff, and I mean being loyal to the guys not the Academy. Why would you trust  better some rich dude who tried to poison a village's well out of revenge? She's always questioning Academy guys' moves but why she seems to trust blindly in Blake? Why isn't her brother her first priority? Family is a choice, maybe he doesn't want me to find him. BS. Who cares? Is the only family you have, how come everything is more important than keep looking for your brother? If she's so brilliant for other stuff, why didn't she at least tried to guess the reason behind those strange cramps? If she's under so much stress, why can't she say no for once? To the guys, to Blake, the Academy, Ethan, etc. She's a walking contradiction.

That's what pisses me off about her.

I don't want her to become someone else, and I know if she changes even a bit or evolves, it's not gonna happen from one book to another. But she definitely needs some character adjustment. 

Speaking for myself, I could do with one book without all the high tech problems, frauds, billionaires Blake, guns and action sequences and get to know Kaily in a midly normal situation. Because I feel like all we know is Kaily trying to save hers and other people's butts from all kinds of risky shenanigans. She's not boring, she can pull it off.

• purplecherryblossom, Dani, Crystal_Sky and 2 others like this

#15 MrsAndisMom

MrsAndisMom

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

COOL!!! I was right it was like matches on gasoline! Someone left me flames!  S'mores time!

I actually really liked Kayli at first. I've spent my life surrounded by sharp, strong, do-what-needs-to-be-done, women and they raised me to be one too. I really liked that about Kayli. I respected the fact that she found a way to use the talents she had to support herself and her brother and she was looking for a way out of her shitty situation and wouldn't leave Wil behind. 

That said -- WHY THE HELL DID SHE LEAVE THAT GIRL BEHIND IN THE HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM!?!?!?

I've been waiting for her to be the girl who put the dots together and impressed the guys in their living room that first day. The one who pointed out the flaws of pick pocketing in a dress and worked with the guys to find a solution. She vanished like smoke and all that was left was a brain dead twit being making stupid calls. She keeps going off half-cocked. Despite being desperate and doing desperate things (pick pocketing for example) she was smart about it. she made a plan and worked it and dealt with problems as they come up.  I keep seeing some flashes of that person I think she could be - when she stayed with Fred in the storage shed for example. She wants all the guys secrets but she refuses to trust them. But she trusts every word that comes out of Blake's mouth.  Its like she just can't grasp that everyone has secrets and the secrets you hold on the hardest to aren't always your own. Its IRRITATING!

And while I don't expect her to change much from book to book, Kayli doesn't seem to change at all. She is too smart to be this stupid.

And while her reactions are totally reasonable in some instances (i totally agree she should be upset about calls being withheld - I was very proud of her when she FINALLY put on her big girl panties and just freaking ASKED) and makes her possibly a more realistic character they don't exactly make her LIKEABLE. Which is by-the-by is what the original question was. Not is she believable, but is she likeable. And this is FICTION it can be as unbelievable as it wants. 

oh, and in answer to the idea of comparing Sang and Kayli? I don't. They are both incomparable.

I have decided that the Kayli is like Garlic. I ADORE garlic. However I understand it's not for everyone but it belongs with good strong flavors and a hearty meal. Blake is like a really rich dark chocolate truffle. Good and amazing in its own right but you should not mix it with garlic...that just doesn't work.

OK...I've run out of marshmallows, so feel free to leave more flames while I go get more.

• Dani and bri like this

#16 bri

bri

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

YES! That is honestly my biggest problem with Kayli! I actually liked her quite a bit the first half of the first book, before she started making rash, and honestly quite stupid, decisions. She is obviously very smart, something all of the boys commented in the first half of the first book, and has an incredible learning curve from some of the scenes described in the books. However, she isn't using it! She makes rash decisions with little to know planning, I know sometimes it has to do with the amount of time they have making it impossible to come up with a thorough plan, but she hardly ever thinks ANYTHING through, which she needs to. She is smart and she is quick witted, however she isn't using it, and to me, I'm honestly not a very big fan of Blake, personally, I also think that she's very... hypocritical? or maybe contradictory would be a better word to describe it when it comes to Blake and the Academy and herself. She holds certain standards for the Academy about honesty and disclosure, that she doesn't hold for either Blake or herself. She also gets mad when either Blake or the Academy don't tell her things, when all she'd have to do is ask, and she also keeps many things from them as well. Honestly, hypocrites, or people who go against what they say in general, or expect more and have higher standards for one person than for another when it should be equal, are my biggest pet peeves, so that's one reason why I'm not particularly loving of her. I do hope she manages to grow, and of course I know change is slow and doesn't happen over night, but we are several books in, and (although I haven't read all of them), from what I understand, instead of evolving, she's devolving, and losing the intelligence and wit that she had that first drew me to her in the opening chapters of the first book. 

• MrsAndisMom likes this

the cutie in my display picture is bang yongguk, leader, composer, and rapper of b.a.p <3

#17 Cat

Cat

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:55 AM

I have to agree with a lot of the others' viewpoints on this. As time has gone by in the SB series I find myself disliking Kayli more and more. I actually read the SB series first (from the first book all the way through the last one, before I ever even cracked open the Ghost Bird series) so I never even thought to compare her to Sang initially. And I actually really liked Kayli in the beginning, I'm all for sassy, strong, opinionated heroines. She'd obviously been through a rough childhood, and basically raised her brother herself, having to abandon her own childhood in order to care for him and her alcoholic father. So, I understood her rough, sometimes abrasive personality as the defense and coping mechanism it is. She's smart, both book-wise and street-wise so as the series progressed, I really expected more....more something from her. I thought she'd step up to the plate and start handling things, but instead it seems development-wise she's gone backwards. What happened to that whip-smart, street-wise girl? It's like she disappeared. She acts rashly, impulsively without thinking through any of the potential consequences--not for herself, or the guys. I know some of the situations she got herself into didn't give her time to think, but some of them she had plenty of time to think through her options, but just doesn't.

Also, she has a tendency to be an annoyingly giant hypocrite about certain things. She demands the guys' secrets while refusing to give up her own (and she definitely has some whoppers). She demands their trust, but won't give hers, because of what? Their criminal backgrounds? If anything I would have thought that would make her closer to them considering her own shady criminal dealings. You'd think she'd know not to judge a book by its cover, considering she's exactly like them! It's only by sheer luck and the Academy guys' intervention that she didn't have criminal charges herself. She's distrustful of the Academy, okay, I can understand her being leery of some secret organization she doesn't know anything about. And the SB Academy guys haven't eased her into it or supported her as well as Sang's Academy guys did. So, yeah I get that. But by this point in the series, after all she's gone through with them, she should trust her Academy guys more. They've always tried to be there for her, and clearly care for her and are concerned about her well-being. So she should trust them, and by extension, should at least give the Academy the benefit of the doubt considering her guys are members, and she knows and loves them.

When we see her at Camp in First Kiss, I wanted to slap her. She was being an unreasonable idiot, coming off like a spoiled brat more than anything. I understand her ambiguous feelings about the Academy, but she doesn't even give it a try or the benefit of the doubt for the sake of her guys (who she's supposed to care for). She's just so close-minded. She's got this idea in her head about what the Academy is, and she stubbornly clings to it no matter what anyone says. Or at least, that was my impression.

Unlike some of the others, I actually like Blake. He genuinely cares about and is concerned for Kayli. I think he would have been great in the Academy if they'd gotten to him when he was younger. As it is, he's kind of a loner and I don't see him submitting to Academy authority now. I do get why Kayli trusts him more, though. It's because she knows he's a loner (besides Doyle), and he's not part of any shadowy organization, that's why she's more willing to accept his word at face value (though a street-smart girl like her should know better than that). Even though I understand it, I don't like it and find it extremely annoying the way she constantly mistrusts Axel, Raven, Corey, Brandon and Marc---who only have her best interests at heart, which you'd think she'd figure out by now! I understand why she wouldn't trust them in the first two books, but we're 4 books in already! So annoying.

Overall, I'll probably continue to read the SB series---despite Kayli, not because of her---I really like the SB Academy gang (Axel, Raven, Corey, Brandon, Marc--and even Blake) and I'll read that series to find out what happens to them, not Kayli unless she undergoes some major character development. I don't want her to be another Sang, she's her own person, but I would like her to be the smart, sassy Kayli we saw in book 1.

• purplecherryblossom and bri like this

#18 jess2sw4u

jess2sw4u

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:01 AM

I agree with most of you on your opinions of Kayli.In some moments I like her, like when she is her normal assertive self,and I appreciate how she has changed due to what happened to her in book 3 (no spoilers 😉) and how she is fighting to overcome it, but I completely dislike how easy it is for her to lose trust in her Academy boys, especially with everything they have been through together. Not knowing how to make everything work out I understand, but all the wishy washy stuff is annoying.

#19 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

I totally get why she is cynical and rough around the edges. She's been broken too many times. Sang's been neglected and the punishments she's had, up until the shower, haven't actually been horrific. But Kayli has been beaten and almost raped and neglected and had her brother used against her, basically holding her hostage. Her crappy life is worse than Sang's. And then these guys show up because they want something from her, not like Sang who has guys show up because they want t know her and help her. If I were Kayli, I'd feel used and manipulated. So it just makes sense for her to be a bit cynical and bitter.
Kota loves me. I love him. We make a beautiful couple

Our babies will be so smart.

#20 QueenBitch83

QueenBitch83

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:45 AM

I like Kayli as a person. I don't compare her to anyone other than myself.
If I had to have a defense mechanism, I'd choose hers over some other dysfunctional coping mechanism.
I have just finished reading "Accessory" and I enjoy the growth that she has experienced thus far.
A lot of people, I see, have a hard time liking Blake for some reason.
I can see why, but also look at Kayli's predicament from his point of view at the beginning. He thinks they are a cult of criminals.
However, by the end of "Accessory," I believe that he's starting to think that they aren't their pasts anymore.
He's willing to put his personal feelings aside to work with the Academy boys for the greater good, despite his personal beliefs.
With Doyle keeping tabs on everyone, he can tell that the Academy boys' actions now don't mesh with what he learned about in their arrest records.

• emross1931 likes this