9 replies to this topic

#1 Bookworm7216

Bookworm7216

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

Ok, I am a huge fan of C.L. Stone...obviously! I have continually and devotedly read the entire Ghost Bird series :wub: 5+ times in preparation for the new book! However, I just could not get past the second Scarab Beetle book. :unsure:  I just really did not like how manipulative and indecisive Kayli was. I mean obviously she doesn't know who to trust but who really goes back and forth playing them like that. I found it to be cruel.  <_<

I know I probably made some people mad up there. -_- But here is my reason for posting this. I really want to keep reading. I just can't dig down deep enough to find a reason to continue to read about her. So I am asking if you could give me a reason or some type of hope that she loses her wishywashy back and forth and is actually a joy to read about. :) :blink:

:) Please do not be hateful I am asking sincerely.   :D

• StyledByGabe, ladybug4, LovinGBseries and 1 other like this

#2 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

I wish I could help, but honestly I'm in the same situation as you. I love the Ghost Bird books and have read them too many times to count, but I haven't been able to get into the Scarab Beatle ones. For the same reason that I just can't get on with Kayli, but would also love a reason to read more about her because I'm sure the boys are great and would love to get to know them more...
  • StyledByGabe, ladybug4, LovinGBseries and 1 other like this

#3 rosiebee

rosiebee

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationGloucester

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

I love the Scarab Beetle Series!
Kayli is a very different type of protagonist to Sang. She's very rough around the edges.
I admit that the second book is where you see some of Kayli's worst traits, but it's also where you see some of her best and her guys see it to. Otherwise they wouldn't stick around. They are gradually smoothing out her edges and Kayli is beginning to understand what they do and why they do it.
Sang also has her moments when she questions her trust in her boys, but we have to remember that Kayli is older with very different experiences where she has learnt not to trust anyone but herself, otherwise she will get hurt. That type of self preservation behaviour is very difficult to break down. In real life it can take years, but Scarab Beetle is fiction, so it's only taking a few weeks.
Sang is also more relatable to the reader, because she's an introvert. We also want to be Sang more, because her kindness comes to her quickly and naturally (and practically everyone likes her as soon as they see her). Let's face it, the majority of us here are introverts and would have loved the kind of attention Sang gets so easily.
I personally relate to Kayli more, despite being the quiet person who would stick to the edges of the playground or courtyard during break. Even now that I'm working everyone thinks that I'm the quiet one with the odd sense of humour. I still hate sitting with my back to a room, but everyone was understanding when I asked to move my desk. Basically to me Kayli's thought processes are more real. She asks those questions that I wish Sang would demand answers to herself.
Give Scarab Beetle a chance, after all it's written by an author you love and she clearly wants to tell us Kayli's story for a reason. Like in the Ghost Bird Series the time that spans the whole series is very short. And best of all we see a different side to characters that we already love! Of course there is another whole set of guys to brain drool over.
Happy Reading!
  • HaMalka, StyledByGabe, Helloud and 2 others like this

#4 purplecherryblossom

purplecherryblossom

The Anti-Hugger

• Administrators
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

If it helps I was so not a Kayli fan untill this last book! It made me start to like her. Power through!:D
  • StyledByGabe, Leesharose, Lauralass and 1 other like this

#5 HaMalka

HaMalka

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

Raven. Axel. Corey. Brandon. Marc. Here is incentive.

• purplecherryblossom, StyledByGabe, North Star's Baby and 1 other like this

#6 Jme 1983

Jme 1983

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

I really did not appreciate Kayli until completing a second read through of sb..and this last book hoax was definitely my favorite sb so far...I think if you can make it through and keep in mind that kayli is a character that is growing and learning...you can like her too
  • purplecherryblossom, StyledByGabe and Bookworm7216 like this

#7 PrincessSelene

PrincessSelene

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

I didn't like Kayli all that much until Hoax, but I get that she had to be tough to provide for her and her brother. But people don't go back and forth like she does.
  • StyledByGabe and Bookworm7216 like this

#8 Citrine

Citrine

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Here's my take on this subject:

Sang's tale is about a kid who lived in a bubble, unable to see any escape, yet desperate to find one. She has no experience with normal life because she's never HAD a normal life. The small glimpses into her early years show that normality never really existed for her. Yes, she had her grandfather to watch the baseball with, but not for long enough to teach her the other societal norms. For her EVERY relationship has been odd, because if you instil enough paranoia, hate, fear and distancing into a kid, there is NO way the poor kid can be normal.

Kayli's life WAS normal until her mother was gone, and she hates the "world" that inflicted her pretty ordinary life with a need to "take over" parenting when her surviving parent refuses to parent. She sacrifices almost everything to protect her brother's interests, not because she wants to, but because she HAS to.

Falling for more than one guy isn't as unusual as it seems on the surface: mothers do it all the time with their children. The capacity to love more than one person is NORMAL, it is society that decrees it ISN'T normal, and so patriarchal religions build on the idea that women should love their MAN, until they have sons, and only love the women in their lives if they are offspring or other blood/adoptee relations.

The truth is not so cut and dried. Humankind are built to love, and usually many people at once. So why is Kayli's story harder for some of us to read? Simply because for those people the CHARACTER is more confronting, because Kayli is NOT sweet, nor socially inept, or learning the basics about interpersonal relations. What she is is in many ways more normal, an extraordinary normal, but still normal. That means the story isn't about education in social matters, learning how to do relationships or how to change from bubble-land to living-land, but it is about a "ripping great yarn".

• rosiebee and Bookworm7216 like this

#9 connect192168

connect192168

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLondon/On a couch with Sang :)

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

I'must going to try and read the SB books while I endure the wait for Green and Black, thank for such a clear cut explanation :

Here's my take on this subject:
Sang's tale is about a kid who lived in a bubble, unable to see any escape, yet desperate to find one. She has no experience with normal life because she's never HAD a normal life. The small glimpses into her early years show that normality never really existed for her. Yes, she had her grandfather to watch the baseball with, but not for long enough to teach her the other societal norms. For her EVERY relationship has been odd, because if you instil enough paranoia, hate, fear and distancing into a kid, there is NO way the poor kid can be normal.
Kayli's life WAS normal until her mother was gone, and she hates the "world" that inflicted her pretty ordinary life with a need to "take over" parenting when her surviving parent refuses to parent. She sacrifices almost everything to protect her brother's interests, not because she wants to, but because she HAS to.
Falling for more than one guy isn't as unusual as it seems on the surface: mothers do it all the time with their children. The capacity to love more than one person is NORMAL, it is society that decrees it ISN'T normal, and so patriarchal religions build on the idea that women should love their MAN, until they have sons, and only love the women in their lives if they are offspring or other blood/adoptee relations.
The truth is not so cut and dried. Humankind are built to love, and usually many people at once. So why is Kayli's story harder for some of us to read? Simply because for those people the CHARACTER is more confronting, because Kayli is NOT sweet, nor socially inept, or learning the basics about interpersonal relations. What she is is in many ways more normal, an extraordinary normal, but still normal. That means the story isn't about education in social matters, learning how to do relationships or how to change from bubble-land to living-land, but it is about a "ripping great yarn".

• Bookworm7216 likes this

#10 Bookworm7216

Bookworm7216

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

So while I was on here venting my excitement about the awesome new cover of Black and Green. I just had to come on here and update. l have so far pressed through the series. I have now read all of the SB series even Hoax. I cannot say that I have changed my opinion on the subject. I will however say that I am not as opposed to the series as I previously was. That is in THANKS to all of you who replied and rallied around to give me your opinions. I am glad to say that I was happy I was not the only one to feel that way. So having sad all that I have to say that I will continue the series. I need to know what happens next with the SB guys and even though there are still some things about K that drive me nuts. I can see her from a different perspective after reading your replies. I am still bouncing at the upcoming crossovers and the possibilities of it all!!! In the end it has completely made me fall in love with CL all over again. I am continually reading her books over and over until the next one comes out... She is a fantastic author!!!

• purplecherryblossom and StyledByGabe like this