Photo

Re reading (And Finding Interesting Stuff!)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jaxxy

jaxxy

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

I'm reading Friends vs. Family now. And It amazing how much has changed in Sang's relationship with the guys!

I've noticed so many interesting things like:

1. Dr. Green used to call Sang 'Miss Sang'.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't now because it's not ringing any bells for me.  I think it's so cute how he tried to keep a distance between them and know how miserably he failed.

2.  I feel like since I've read all the books I know Mr. Blackbourne a little better and now it seems like the amount of affection he has for Sang is staggering.  Before I felt like he put a wall between them but even with him that wall is shaky. I don't feel like he's going to cross the line he's drawn for himself but knowing what I know now he's not hiding the developing feelings at all. 

2a.  It makes me wonder just how much of those feelings influenced his decision to let Sang go back into the house after the infamous shower scene.

3. I didn't realize how attractive Sang thought Luke was.  I think I'm so caught up in my own bias that I missed it.  She said that out of the seven guys Luke was the best looking.  I've read this before (multiple times in fact), and this is just now sinking in. Luke is hot.  Wow.  I don't dislike Luke, but now I'm a little more aware of him.  

3a.  I think my personality got in the way of me noticing this.  I don't think 'I want my guy to be handsome'  I think 'I want my guy to be sexy' and so that's how I arrange the guys in my mind as far as their appeal.  Who knew being biased could color even the way you read stuff?

4.  Taco soup.  Did CL ever give out this recipe?  I kind of want it.

5.  I think I finally understand Sang a little better too.  At some points, I thought, 'Really Sang?  You don't think that's inappropriate?  Seriously?'  But I have a clearer picture now.  Her family life was really messed up.  I realized that her family didn't touch each other, didn't look at each other, but it's a concept that I can grasp a little better and see how it would affect her.

6.  Ms. Sorenson's parents.  Alive, but never call.  Never contact them.  I have two possible conclusions about that now.    I'm almost certain they know Mr. Sorenson raped Sang's mother.  They wanted her to leave Mr. Sorenson (perhaps she went to them upset about the situation), but she didn't and they disowned her.  Or perhaps Mrs. Sorenson came from an abusive home too.  It could be where she got her ideas of where to torment Sang from.  

Anyway,

Has anyone else noticed anything during a reread?

• purplecherryblossom, Dani, StyledByGabe and 4 others like this

#2 emam25

emam25

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:17 AM

In rereads I noticed just how much Owen's wall was broken down after the sleepover at Sean's house. Realizing that he was maybe too harsh on Sang (compared to the boys) seemed to be a real tipping point for him. I almost wonder if he didn't realize how much he cared until he thought he may have hurt her feelings.

• purplecherryblossom, StyledByGabe, jaxxy and 1 other like this

#3 purplecherryblossom

purplecherryblossom

The Anti-Hugger

• Administrators
  • 505 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

Wow! nice observations!  I just want to put out there that Sang's bio mother being raped is a matter of who's perspective you take. Sang's father and bio mother had an affair, she was willing. Sang's mom considers it rape because the girl was 16 and underage. Now CL has said that Sang's bio mom wasnt in the best place to begin with either so it is all really a messed up situation for all. 

• StyledByGabe, jaxxy, Lauralass and 1 other like this

#4 jaxxy

jaxxy

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

In rereads I noticed just how much Owen's wall was broken down after the sleepover at Sean's house. Realizing that he was maybe too harsh on Sang (compared to the boys) seemed to be a real tipping point for him. I almost wonder if he didn't realize how much he cared until he thought he may have hurt her feelings.

That's one of my favorite scenes.  I've read it over and over again, and you have a very valid point there. I'll have to wait until I get to that part of my reread but I don't think he realized just how invested he was in Sang until then.

Wow! nice observations!  I just want to put out there that Sang's bio mother being raped is a matter of who's perspective you take. Sang's father and bio mother had an affair, she was willing. Sang's mom considers it rape because the girl was 16 and underage. Now CL has said that Sang's bio mom wasnt in the best place to begin with either so it is all really a messed up situation for all. 

I may be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that the age of consent in SC is 16.  But I also believed that the sexual consent was only up to age 18.  Anything above that is considered statutory rape.  Whether she consented or not doesn't matter.     Unless, of course, Mr. Sorenson is younger that I believe him to be.  Which would be interesting, now that I think about it. 

Also, I also believe that I read somewhere that if a person has mental issues (and Sang's mother did have those), then the age of consent isn't valid.  It isn't considered an affair.  It's rape.  He could've been prosecuted and sent to jail for a long time.  Otherwise, why hide it?

• emam25, StyledByGabe and megumi愛 like this

#5 purplecherryblossom

purplecherryblossom

The Anti-Hugger

• Administrators
  • 505 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

but I was under the impression that the age of consent in SC is 16. But I also believed that the sexual consent was only up to age 18. Anything above that is considered statutory rape. Whether she consented or not doesn't matter. Unless, of course, Mr. Sorenson is younger that I believe him to be. Which would be interesting, now that I think about it.

I believe this happened in Illinois, the age of consent is 17 there. Sangs bio mom was 15 at the time and had Sang at 16. And I totally agree that it counts as statutory rape since she was a minor, but it is up to the victim or the guardian to file charges. I was just pointing out that it wasnt like he just randomly raped some girl. It was someone he knew and seemed to care about and while Mrs. Sorenson and the law consider it illegal, Mr. Sorenson doesnt (any way I word that it sounds like I am okay with it but trust me I am not. The same thing happened with my sister, it wasnt a relative, but I know how these things effect the families) I think it was who her bio mom was that had more to do with them hushing things up, just my personal opinion on that one. I mean she was a minor and his cousin. They wouldnt want that out in the news. Hopefully we learn more of Sangs history soon.
  • StyledByGabe, jaxxy and megumi愛 like this

#6 jaxxy

jaxxy

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

I believe this happened in Illinois, the age of consent is 17 there.

I know this wasn't your intention but this made it much worse for me.  D:

any way I word that it sounds like I am okay with it but trust me I am not.

I didn't take it that way at all.  A well-rounded perspective is important in everything in life.    If you close yourself off to other people's views it can make you narrow-minded.

Hopefully we learn more of Sangs history soon.

That is what I'm hoping for in Black & Green.

• purplecherryblossom, StyledByGabe and megumi愛 like this

#7 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

I'm rereading the series, and I recently got to the part where the boys start sleeping with Sang at her place. Knowing now that Victor had never kissed a girl, it makes his night with Sang more of a big deal for him. He's waking up from his first night spent with a girl, a girl he's crazy about. But he has no experience romancing someone. What an exciting but confusing and awkward situation for him.

I'm finding that reading the books now, knowing what's to come (now that the relationships are getting closer), it adds an extra dimension to many scenes. Good question/topic, jaxxy!

BTW, the recipes for taco soup and cowboy stew are in an early cheat sheet.
  • purplecherryblossom, jaxxy, briana_elisaa and 3 others like this

#8 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:39 AM

I'm reading Forgiveness and Permission now, and Sang has just freed North from being tied up, the morning after the football party. To comfort him since he feels bad for saying all those things to her while he was high, she gives him one of those "fingers over the lips" kisses. It struck me how she initiated the action. Much later, when real kisses are happening, she never initiates the kissing, even when it's not a first kiss. Rereading that forgotten passage gives me hope that Sang will take the first step in kissing her fellas when she feels they need the affection, or even when she just feels like it. Big hopes for B&G and beyond!
  • purplecherryblossom, prepgirls, jaxxy and 1 other like this

#9 purplecherryblossom

purplecherryblossom

The Anti-Hugger

• Administrators
  • 505 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

I'm reading Forgiveness and Permission now, and Sang has just freed North from being tied up, the morning after the football party. To comfort him since he feels bad for saying all those things to her while he was high, she gives him one of those "fingers over the lips" kisses. It struck me how she initiated the action. Much later, when real kisses are happening, she never initiates the kissing, even when it's not a first kiss. Rereading that forgotten passage gives me hope that Sang will take the first step in kissing her fellas when she feels they need the affection, or even when she just feels like it. Big hopes for B&G and beyond!

I think one of the reasons she did that was because she was comfortable with it. They had done that before so it wasn't her trying something new spontaneously. I too have my fingers crossed that once she feels a little more comfortable with kissing them that she will start initiating it!  

• jaxxy and megumi愛 like this

#10 megumi愛

megumi愛

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California, USA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:34 AM

I think one of the reasons she did that was because she was comfortable with it. They had done that before so it wasn't her trying something new spontaneously. I too have my fingers crossed that once she feels a little more comfortable with kissing them that she will start initiating it!

I do remember Sang kissing North at another time. It was in House of Korba, when Theo set the church on fire and she helped North outside. She kissed him as a distraction to free her arm from his grasp, and run to Silas still in the flames. Although I understand her need to go to her Superman (and entertain the thought of Sang knowing North Star would be caught off gaurd by her kissing him 😶), it was a bit unfair to make that move. However, it may just lead to some self-confidence later on. Maybe. Unless she's secretly fretting about it, as she often does after the show is over. 😉
  • StyledByGabe and LovinGBseries like this

愛しています。

Kota, Victor, Silas, Nathan, Gabriel, Luke, North, Dr. Green, Mr. Blackbourne!!!  :e328:  :e328:

:201510112326AFG:  :201510242248YTJ:  :201511030657LYZ:  :201510170313YYT:  :201511030551PRI:  :201510170253OWS:  :201510170214GDU:  :201511030552NYI:  :201510150741TVV:  :201510170223DZG:   :201511030607WIM:

#11 megumi愛

megumi愛

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

Did anyone else smile the first few times they read Gabriel's famous "Oy!"? I speak Japanese and immediately found it funny that an American guy has a habit of saying "Hey!" in another language. I now understand that the two artistic ones (Meanie and Dr. Sean) are close, but my heart flutters whenever I see it!  :wub:

:201510170253OWS:  :201510150741TVV:

• purplecherryblossom, StyledByGabe and jaxxy like this

愛しています。

Kota, Victor, Silas, Nathan, Gabriel, Luke, North, Dr. Green, Mr. Blackbourne!!!  :e328:  :e328:

:201510112326AFG:  :201510242248YTJ:  :201511030657LYZ:  :201510170313YYT:  :201511030551PRI:  :201510170253OWS:  :201510170214GDU:  :201511030552NYI:  :201510150741TVV:  :201510170223DZG:   :201511030607WIM:

#12 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Did anyone else smile the first few times they read Gabriel's famous "Oy!"? I speak Japanese and immediately found it funny that an American guy has a habit of saying "Hey!" in another language. I now understand that the two artistic ones (Meanie and Dr. Sean) are close, but my heart flutters whenever I see it!  :wub:
  :201510170253OWS:  :201510150741TVV:

That's so interesting, that "oy" is an actual word in Japanese! I think of it more as a Jewish exclamation, as my coworker says it a lot. It's also used in the UK quite a bit; I seem to hear it often in British songs and film/television. I think as the internet exposes us to more international culture, we pick up all kinds of words and phrases from all over.

I'm definitely going to use "oy!" more, knowing that it's Japanese for "hey!".
  • megumi愛 likes this

#13 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

I do remember Sang kissing North at another time. It was in House of Korba, when Theo set the church on fire and she helped North outside. She kissed him as a distraction to free her arm from his grasp, and run to Silas still in the flames. Although I understand her need to go to her Superman (and entertain the thought of Sang knowing North Star would be caught off gaurd by her kissing him ), it was a bit unfair to make that move. However, it may just lead to some self-confidence later on. Maybe. Unless she's secretly fretting about it, as she often does after the show is over.

I totally forgot about that part, probably because I haven't read House of Korba in a long time (lots of Volto + unfair treatment of Theo = a book I rarely reread). That gives me even more hope that she'll initiate kissing the guys. As Sang gets more experience, she's not afraid to deepen the kiss when she's necking with one of the fellas, so that's another good sign. Although when she started French kissing Luke, it was also used as a distraction, so that Luke wouldn't tickle her.

Wow, we've discovered that Sang has added kissing to her arsenal of actions and words she uses to deflect. I'm sure it'll work well for her, until the guys catch on.
  • jaxxy, LovinGBseries and megumi愛 like this

#14 megumi愛

megumi愛

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

That's so interesting, that "oy" is an actual word in Japanese! I think of it more as a Jewish exclamation, as my coworker says it a lot. It's also used in the UK quite a bit; I seem to hear it often in British songs and film/television. I think as the internet exposes us to more international culture, we pick up all kinds of words and phrases from all over.

I'm definitely going to use "oy!" more, knowing that it's Japanese for "hey!".

You may want to mind where you use the term. As we all know, Gabriel is very punk-like, confident, and doesn't care much for the language he uses. With that being said, "Oy!" isn't much of an elegant, feminine word.  ;)

However, I didn't know of the Jewish and British sides of the word! This international culture makes me so happy!! Don't we all want to learn new languages (like an Academy girl  :D  )? 

:201510170253OWS:  :201510112326AFG:   :201510170313YYT:

• purplecherryblossom and StyledByGabe like this

愛しています。

#15 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

I've gotten to the scene in Forgiveness and Permission where Mr Blackbourne takes Sang to the lake to speak to her, ultimately, about reconciling with North. It was my first time rereading that part since reading First Kiss, when Owen spends time there with Sang on his birthday. They had a quiet drive up, and they were standing quietly together, when Owen suddenly starts talking about his childhood at the lake with his mom, and how his father had killed her. It seems to me, in hindsight, that just being quietly in her company makes Owen open up to Sang. I'm not sure he had any intention, originally, of telling her about his family "secrets". It had no bearing on what he actually wanted, which was for her to make up with North, and maybe understand that the boys don't know how to deal with her, since they'd never had a girl in their group.

He trusts Sang with his family secrets, then remembers later, on his birthday, that she was a sympathetic presence who knew his background but wasn't the type to chatter at him. And he wanted to recreate that comforting feeling.

It seems that they just "get" each other.
  • purplecherryblossom, prepgirls, jaxxy and 2 others like this

#16 jaxxy

jaxxy

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

He trusts Sang with his family secrets, then remembers later, on his birthday, that she was a sympathetic presence who knew his background but wasn't the type to chatter at him. And he wanted to recreate that comforting feeling.

It seems that they just "get" each other.

Yeah!  That!  That's one of the things that I was talking about.  There are so many subtle scenes with Mr. Blackbourne that can easily be glossed over because their romance scenes aren't hot and heavy but the whole time Mr. Blackbourne & Sang have been putty in each other's hands.  :)

• StyledByGabe and AddictiveReader like this

#17 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Crazy between books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

Starting my wind up to Black and Green reread.

Just noticed that even when Max first jumped on her, she couldn't scream. I realize her throat is damaged now but has she ever been able to scream in anger or fear or has her upbringing trained her not to.
  • purplecherryblossom, prepgirls, StyledByGabe and 1 other like this

#18 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

That's a very good point. There is a good chance she was conditioned not to during her childhood. Especially if she always had punishments that were painful...A young child wouldn't keep quiet like that (for hours on end) unless they were taught to
  • StyledByGabe likes this