10 replies to this topic

#1 Rul1

Rul1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

Maybe this is a really stupid question, but it's been bugging me on this re-read for some reason. Why didn't any of them have passcodes on their phones?

I mean, these all are smart guys... who are supposed to be concerned with security/secrecy, and they don't lock their iPhones? And/Or have Sang lock hers? 

Was that not a feature at the time the story was first started? Or did it just mess with the story too much???

Because I feel like so many things could have gone better if people couldn't just do things on Sang's phone when they picked it up because they didn't know they code to get into it...... Am I the only one that has wondered about this?

• StyledByGabe, jaxxy, 9for1 and 1 other like this

Rule1: Trust your family ~ Rule2: Family is a choice

#2 sweetone6812

sweetone6812

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:49 PM

I think this question was raised a while back and the answer was, If the phones are password protected, when help is needed or an emergency arises, then they would have to remember the passcode to get in, wasting valuable minutes and/or seconds.  Or what if someone needed to use someone else's phone and they weren't available to give the passcode.  What would happen then. It was basically because of emergency reasons.  

• StyledByGabe and 9for1 like this

#3 Rul1

Rul1

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

I think this question was raised a while back and the answer was, If the phones are password protected, when help is needed or an emergency arises, then they would have to remember the passcode to get in, wasting valuable minutes and/or seconds.  Or what if someone needed to use someone else's phone and they weren't available to give the passcode.  What would happen then. It was basically because of emergency reasons.  

That does make sense. 

• 9for1 likes this

Rule1: Trust your family ~ Rule2: Family is a choice

#4 briana_elisaa

briana_elisaa

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:49 AM

Hmm.. I hadn't considered either the question or the answer for this, although they're certainly both good points. I guess the quality of ease of access during an emergency outweighs any safety risks, besides I highly doubt they contain anything too sensitive on their phones. Besides, Volto is a hacker, and so even if they DID have passcodes I doubt it would have made much of a difference to him.  

• StyledByGabe and 9for1 like this

the cutie in my display picture is bang yongguk, leader, composer, and rapper of b.a.p <3

#5 glenflet

glenflet

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

If they were really trying to protect their phone they would use custom made academy phones, they as a larger group would have the nesscary skills to design the hardware using standard chips and could get their custom design massproduced cheaply i.e. 50+ and they would like cost less than the equlivlent iphone or galaxy (samsung), then install a custom unix base system likely based on android or raspderian OS, then it would be easy to secure the phones while protecting aginst hackers such as encrypting their own comunications, and the phones them selves so long as they chose good passwords not just a pin that would be sufficient. It should also be noted that hacking of modern security systems is actually very hard, most systems that get hacked are standarized, or from user not using good passwords. A custom/open source system will also not have goverment back doors, which I heard of documents being liked suggesting the NSA used legall means to introduce such backdoor in windows, I could be wrong about this as I never saw the supposed evidence myself. The same sort of problem would apply to iOS as its also closed source allowing governments to get away with such actions. On the other hand a correctly implimented modern security system is unbreakable because the problem is to complex to solve as in it would that things like 10^20 years on modern high end hardware hence their is not sufficient computing power in the world to solve it in a suitable time to be useful. This leaves havkers looking for exploits i.e. someway of guessing the password for the encryption. You could make it so they could send and recive emergency messages without encryption and thus security but for normal comunications they would need their password to decrypt the encryption keys used for secure comunications and any saved messages.

The biggest problem is good passwords it estimated that 80-90% of people have a password that matchs less tha 20 simple patterns based on personaly information a hack could readily gain access to. At this point the could reduce the search space for the encryption key from 2^2048+ to around 1000 or 2^10 that a problem that can be solved in under an hour, and the main reason people get hacked today. Condiser this forum it a common system if I'm a hacker I can most likely find some known exploit that would get me a database dump, which would give me hashs of your password plus lots of personal information from your profile and post I can then build a program to scan the database and test possible passwords aginst their hash that would likely give 50% of the users passwordd in a day, the rest I would like have insufficent information to ever break, however for the 50% I have the very fact that I broken them means their also likely a commonly used password by said user and would allow me to eventually gain access to all their accounts, short to them uses good security pratices like two-factor athetation.

So the academy could manage to protect their phone but they would have to stop using iphones or other major brands, and most likely move to custom models they control. Note they could achive some of what I disscused here uding just a custom communication app that was secure but the insecurity of the phone it self would provide a detrime hacker possible exploits. They could also improve the security by using the encryption feature of moderm phones (android at least (supported for propably 5 years) I don't know about iPhone myself).

Please note that while I have a ok knowledge of computer security I'm not an expert and some of my statement's may not be entirely correct.

#6 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Preparing for June 20th. Black & Green!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Are you saying I shouldn't use

password

As my password?

😕

I guess I'll have to go back to keeping my passwords on a list on a handy piece of paper.
  • StyledByGabe and BLTS like this

#7 Banana Chocolate Smoothies

Banana Chocolate Smoothies

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:15 AM

I hadn't thought of the password thing, but I had one thought on my last read through and it is driving me a little crazy. A lot of the guys were friends since elementary school, but the only ones that live close to each other to go to the same school are Nathan and Kota. Everyone else is all over the place.  Luke possibly could have as I believe it was mentioned that they fix up different houses and sell them, so he might have been in the area. Gabriel is a harder sell as he probably lived in slightly poorer neighborhoods, but I guess I can accept it as a remote possibility. However, there is no way that Victor went to the same elementary school as they did. He just doesn't live close enough and he probably would have gone to some fancy private school anyways.

Does anyone else have this concern or is it just me?

• StyledByGabe and LovinGBseries like this

#8 Snowau

Snowau

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

I hadn't thought of the password thing, but I had one thought on my last read through and it is driving me a little crazy. A lot of the guys were friends since elementary school, but the only ones that live close to each other to go to the same school are Nathan and Kota. Everyone else is all over the place.  Luke possibly could have as I believe it was mentioned that they fix up different houses and sell them, so he might have been in the area. Gabriel is a harder sell as he probably lived in slightly poorer neighborhoods, but I guess I can accept it as a remote possibility. However, there is no way that Victor went to the same elementary school as they did. He just doesn't live close enough and he probably would have gone to some fancy private school anyways.
Does anyone else have this concern or is it just me?

The phone thing was bugging me in my last re-read, so thank you for clearing that up.

As for the guys all being at the same elementary school, I always pictured Nathan and Kota living where they do now, with Gabriel's family across the main road in the trailers (near where Tom and Micah live now).

There is nothing in the books which says Victors family is old school money, so I always assumed his Dad worked his way up from humble beginnings. This would explain why his parents seem so eager to show off their wealth and status. Which puts Victor growing up near Nathan and Kota before moving to the Mansion he live in now.

I never could work out how Luke fit in, but as you pointed out it was most likely the case of living in the area while his uncle fixed houses and sell them on.
  • StyledByGabe and LovinGBseries like this

#9 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Preparing for June 20th. Black & Green!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

As for the guys all being at the same elementary school, I always pictured Nathan and Kota living where they do now, with Gabriel's family across the main road in the trailers (near where Tom and Micah live now).

There is nothing in the books which says Victors family is old school money, so I always assumed his Dad worked his way up from humble beginnings. This would explain why his parents seem so eager to show off their wealth and status. Which puts Victor growing up near Nathan and Kota before moving to the Mansion he live in now.

I never could work out how Luke fit in, but as you pointed out it was most likely the case of living in the area while his uncle fixed houses and sell them on.

Really good thoughts on same school. That had bugged me too. Good connection on the Gabriel trailer. I also considered that Victor's dad might have sent him to a public school to "toughen him up." Even if they weren't from the neighborhood, with enough money he could have bought a house in the district and had Victor chauffeured to school. But Victor's mom seems to try awfully hard to be classy society and their desire to show off their wealth does ring with "new money".
  • StyledByGabe likes this

#10 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:03 AM

I could never buy Victor going to the same grade school as the others. My impression is that he comes from old money. He seems to have an inheritance that doesn't come from his parents (i.e. that they can't touch), like it's from his grandparents. Stories about him and his family are in the society columns, which are notoriously snobby (as are other old money families) about excluding the "nouveaux riches".

Also, in that vein, old money families are all about getting their kids into the "right" schools. So for me, that grade school is out of the question. I think even the Academy is unthinkable, even if it passes itself off as a wealthy institute, unless many important politicians and pillars of society can be shown to have graduated from there. I'm sure Victor's parents must have needed smelling salts when they found out he'd be spending a year at that awful Ashley Waters High School.

So I'm thinking that Victor has a weird combination of his own wealth, an agreement to play concerts insisted upon by his father, and an ability to prevail in his own decisions about his education.

BTW, good theories about how they all ended up at the same grade school!
  • Lauralass likes this

#11 taelynn

taelynn

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

This was in one of the spoiler sheets.

-Victor and the others didn't always live apart. Kota and Nathan have been in the same homes all their lives. Luke was living closer to Monck's Corner but was a transfer student for awhile...until Uncle moved closer.

-Victor's parents had a really nice house out in Goose Creek, I think, but moved "up" to Charleston when they found a house they liked out there better. There's limited housing on the peninsula so it's like waiting in line for one to become available. And, hopefully, it's one you want. They wanted him to attend private school at first, but his dad thought he should take a few beatings "in the real world."

-Gabriel lived in Monck's Corner for the longest time before his mom died and he got moved out to North Charleston. By then, he was neck deep in the Academy.

• StyledByGabe likes this