10 replies to this topic

#1 helpful2468

helpful2468

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Hey, to all of the Academy fans out there. This question popped into my head since Mother's day was around the corner, I wondered what Sang's mom will be like. No, not her step-mother her actual mother. I know that it was stated that she is dead but I wonder what kind of person she is like? Any guesses?

• StyledByGabe and Mayor of North like this

#2 gottalovenorth

gottalovenorth

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

My guess is that she'd be like Sang as in quiet, small and just likes to be in the background.
  • StyledByGabe, Mayor of North and helpful2468 like this

#3 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hm.. I think she'd either be completely naive or kind of wild. 

• StyledByGabe and ellamara16 like this
Kota loves me. I love him. We make a beautiful couple

Our babies will be so smart.

#4 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

Hm.. I think she'd either be completely naive or kind of wild.

I think she'd have to be, in order to have an affair (assuming it was consensual) with an older married cousin. I hope Mr Sorensen drops some clues in the next book.
  • BLTS likes this

#5 emross1931

emross1931

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:36 AM

I think she'd have to be, in order to have an affair (assuming it was consensual) with an older married cousin. I hope Mr Sorensen drops some clues in the next book.

I don't know about that. First of all, I'd just like to say, I think that it's much more likely her mother was adopted into the Sorenson family, rather than being directly blood related. It's much more likely that she'd be willing to sleep with someone who is, by law, a cousin if that is the case. Or she might only be the daughter of a family friend. I know some families of friends are so close they refer to each other using familial terms. Secondly, I think it's more likely that something was going on where Mr. Sorenson could take advantage of her. Since I've always thought that she was probably adopted into the family, I thought it could maybe be the death of her parents or something like that. Or even like what Sang went through, finding out that she actually is adopted. This could put her in a period where she is vulnerable and wanting someone to comfort her, and maybe even acting out.

Also, I'd just like to say that we're all sort of assuming she actually knows that he's married, or that he even is married at this point. Let's not forget, Mr. Sorenson is capable of leading a double life. With Mrs. Sorenson and Sang's mother could have been the first time that he actually did it. And he also could have not married Mrs. Sorenson until later on. She might not have even told Mr. Sorenson about Marie until after Marie was born. After all, she is agoraphobic. She might have wanted to raise Marie without a man around, but then ended up having to because of her agoraphobia and being unable to provide for Marie and herself.

My whole point is that we honestly can't assume that much about her. Even what we know about her from her step-mother - the fact that she is his cousin- is complete speculation that might even be a lie. Mrs. Sorenson might have met her at one point, and Mr. Sorenson could have wanted to cover and not have Mrs. Sorenson realize he was cheating, or already had cheated on her. He might have told her that Sang's mother  was his cousin so that she wouldn't get suspicious. 

Also, why is it that I always seem to go on rants? Seriously, what is wrong with me?

• LovinGBseries, Savyss, thtdailove and 1 other like this

#6 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Crazy between books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

I feel no apologies needed here. The forum is designed for us to share thoughts and opinions. So what if some run longer than others. I enjoy more involved thoughts as much as shorter comments, maybe more.

But then I have been known to ramble on or pull out my soap box on occasion. But the villagers haven't burned down my tower yet!

But I may not quote the longer posts.
😉😉😉😉
  • StyledByGabe likes this

#7 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

My whole point is that we honestly can't assume that much about her.

Yeah, that's why we were asked to guess. And that's why we're guessing. :) :) :)

But your "rants" are welcome. I wish everyone who read a thread would post something. Hey lurkers! Don't be afraid to post. We're nice to everyone, and we like to hear all kinds of opinions.
  • purplecherryblossom, BLTS, Mayor of North and 2 others like this

#8 Mayor of North

Mayor of North

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

I think she would have been able to adapt to situations easily like Sang but and had a willingness to learn, I think Sang's shyness and other personality traits (especially in the beginning of the series) are situational and due to her up-bringing. The person we see Sang developing into as the series progresses I think are some of the traits she may have inherited from her mother. With the boys bringing out those traits.

• StyledByGabe, LovinGBseries and Dbaz74@yahoo.com like this

#9 BLTS

BLTS

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

Yeah, that's why we were asked to guess. And that's why we're guessing. :) :) :)

But your "rants" are welcome. I wish everyone who read a thread would post something. Hey lurkers! Don't be afraid to post. We're nice to everyone, and we like to hear all kinds of opinions.

Come out from your dark corners of the interwebs!!!

• StyledByGabe and LovinGBseries like this
Kota loves me. I love him. We make a beautiful couple

Our babies will be so smart.

#10 Hammer

Hammer

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

One of the themes that I see in Ms Stone's writing is the examination of nature vs nurture. Marie is very similar to Mrs Sorenson's narcissistic, self before all attitude. Nathan is what his father might have been if Nathan's mother's selflessness had taken the place of his father's bullying and fury. Kota is very like his mother, albeit stronger (but if her USMC references are accurate, she has some strengths that she keeps hidden these days).

Sang, who barely received nurture at all, started out the series very, very alone. She had no family affection, little direction, and was generally encouraged to be invisible.

I suspect that if she had placed her trust in somebody less decent than the boys- for instance in that punk kid she throat-punched during Friday Fall- she might have followed her mother's short arc of life more closely and tragically.

I tend to see Sang's mother as alone and shy- nobody noticed an affair with Mr Sorenson, presumably until she was already in trouble. Her suicide strongly suggests that she did not have family support around her. That Sang has no birth certificate, and was 'adopted' into the Sorenson family, tells me that Mr Sorenson was given Sang very shortly before her mother's suicide- if he had a way to flee his troubles, he would, cheerfully leaving Sang an orphan. He might have witnessed the suicide.

• StyledByGabe, LovinGBseries and Leesharose like this

#11 ellamara16

ellamara16

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHead in the clouds

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

I kinda think that she was not actively pursuing the relationship she was probably just like "ummmm, ok??" and she probably had other major stuff going on with her (abuse?) 

I don't know about that. First of all, I'd just like to say, I think that it's much more likely her mother was adopted into the Sorenson family, rather than being directly blood related. It's much more likely that she'd be willing to sleep with someone who is, by law, a cousin if that is the case. Or she might only be the daughter of a family friend. I know some families of friends are so close they refer to each other using familial terms. Secondly, I think it's more likely that something was going on where Mr. Sorenson could take advantage of her. Since I've always thought that she was probably adopted into the family, I thought it could maybe be the death of her parents or something like that. Or even like what Sang went through, finding out that she actually is adopted. This could put her in a period where she is vulnerable and wanting someone to comfort her, and maybe even acting out.

Also, I'd just like to say that we're all sort of assuming she actually knows that he's married, or that he even is married at this point. Let's not forget, Mr. Sorenson is capable of leading a double life. With Mrs. Sorenson and Sang's mother could have been the first time that he actually did it. And he also could have not married Mrs. Sorenson until later on. She might not have even told Mr. Sorenson about Marie until after Marie was born. After all, she is agoraphobic. She might have wanted to raise Marie without a man around, but then ended up having to because of her agoraphobia and being unable to provide for Marie and herself.

My whole point is that we honestly can't assume that much about her. Even what we know about her from her step-mother - the fact that she is his cousin- is complete speculation that might even be a lie. Mrs. Sorenson might have met her at one point, and Mr. Sorenson could have wanted to cover and not have Mrs. Sorenson realize he was cheating, or already had cheated on her. He might have told her that Sang's mother  was his cousin so that she wouldn't get suspicious. 

Also, why is it that I always seem to go on rants? Seriously, what is wrong with me?

I totally agree with a lot of what you are saying but as far as the timeline if she killed herself shortly after sang was born than how did sangs dad take care of her without Mrs Sorenson knowing? So sang had to be born at the start of Mr and Mrs sorensons relationship or during it 

As far as ranting it just shows that you are a true fan 

• StyledByGabe likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sangs mom, Sang, Personality, Mothers Day