#2 Dani

Dani

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:08 AM

Y'all. I'm afraid of Sean's mom already and I've only read up to the part where she opens the car door. Smh.

I like that she dotes on Owen. I'm sure only gets that sort of motherly affection from her, Erica, and possibly Pam.

And God help that lady if she did anything to Sang right now. Or that boy, for that matter...
^^^^^ I almost said Amen at this line.

This book is sort of sad at this point. I feel like Sang can't catch a break and now all the boys are depressed too. On another note, I really like the alternate POV
  • purplecherryblossom, prepgirls, StyledByGabe and 1 other like this

#3 ddaflunky

ddaflunky

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

Until this I had never seen Sean as self doubting. Such a cheerful exterior masked so much.  And although he has said alot about "doctoring" and that he likes the white coat, he actually has never said that he liked or wanted to be a doctor.  I had just assumed to have gotten so far so young it had to be a driving passion for him.  More like his family it seems. 

But like most young people (haha) he takes every word from his mother as negative.  Actually that is so sweet, reminding me how young he really is. I wonder how old Owen was when his mother died, I am starting to think it was before he met Sean. That would explain the connection with Mrs. Green.

HMMMM, thought for later.   "Owen did not have enough lawn for his hobby, so he had to bombard Sean's."   I had always assumed that Owen came from money, some old fancy home with a huge lawn and gardens.   An apartment does not seem to fit him but Sean's yard is a small condo spot.  So smaller than that?

• StyledByGabe, LovinGBseries and gotmamadrama like this

#4 ladybug4

ladybug4

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:08 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't like her? He has such a dynamic personality and she comes into the picture and he just deflates. He knows he will never measure up. Shame on her for not "seeing who her son is"
  • StyledByGabe and Lauralass like this

#5 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Crazy between books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't like her? He has such a dynamic personality and she comes into the picture and he just deflates. He knows he will never measure up. Shame on her for not "seeing who her son is"

She is a tiger mom. Had an asian friend who was laughing about her mom nagging on her brother to study more. His reply. Mom, I'm getting straight A's. I'm going to Stanford next year. On a scholarship. Pre-med. What more do you want?
Her reply, You should study more.
That being said.
Your oil needs to be changed.
You need more gas.
She never goes below 3/4 of a tank?
Does she top off daily? What about a long distance drive? Does she stop every hour?
Push push
Perfect Owen
Poor Sean. No wonder this Carol business is making him even crazier. He knows what it is to be pushed and directed without regard to your own desires.
Cleaning his shoes!! Whaaat?
So much emotion. Sang's overwhelmed and let's it pour out to Sean. He gets drowned by it. Poor Sean hurting so.
And he poured out on Owen
Then it almost sounded like he and Owen lived together or gave Sean's mom that idea???? I was like...Whaaaaat???? But then I remembered, Owen does have his own rose garden. But maybe they did live together for awhile with Owen picking up after Sean.
Everybody is cracking under the stress and strain and lack of sleep.
  • StyledByGabe, ladybug4 and Lauralass like this

#6 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

Sean is really anxious to advance his relationship with Sang, but he admitted in previous books that Sang is off limits to him as long as he's acting as a teacher at her high school. So why is he pushing it?

He's already had a couple of make-out sessions with Sang, why does he still wonder how she feels about him? He normally doesn't seem to have self doubt. Is his relationship with Sang throwing him for a loop?

Too bad Mrs Midori is so picky about everything. It really wears out your soul to be around people like that. I wonder how she reacted to Sean's rebellious youth?

I sense disaster looming if Mrs Midori ever meets Sang.

Sean's mother still has very Japanese notions of footwear after so many decades in the U.S.

To be continued...
  • prepgirls, ladybug4 and LovinGBseries like this

#7 StyledByGabe

StyledByGabe

Three Amigos Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

I felt really bad for Sang when she told Sean, "I don't want to be alone here." She's been around the guys almost 24/7 for several weeks, and before that, had their company overnight. She's in a strange new scary situation, and she knows she needs the guys to help her keep it together. I really think she'll fall apart if they can't be with her overnight. Everyone in that household is more or less hostile to her, and untrustworthy.

I think Sean resents Owen unjustly. His infamous remark that Owen should have had Mrs Midori as his mother, that he would have been the more perfect son for her, is hurtful to Owen on more than one level. Not just because he mentioned his dear deceased mother, but most of what he's been doing for Sean to appease his mother has been done for the sake of their friendship. Making ramen is fussy and time consuming (by coincidence I saw a YouTube video about it a couple of days ago). Owen spent hours at Sean's house, not only cooking, but cleaning the place to Mrs Midori's exacting standards (including vacuuming the couch, and putting away the camping items that were just dumped there). All those years he had picked up after Sean and given reports about Sean's accomplishments to his mother had been for Sean's sake, to smooth over the relationship between them, and make Sean seem more like an ideal son. I think that Owen does it because of his friendship/affection for Sean, and not because he likes all the extra work. He's a busy guy, but he takes the time to take care of Sean. Maybe he feels like he let his own mother down, so he doesn't want Sean to do the same.

You can really tell the differences in their personality in this chapter. Sean wants to charge in, take action, rescue Sang. Owen wants to hold back, get more information, assess the possibilities. Sean wants Sang to always be open and truthful, Owen has advised her to fake it til she makes it, and thinks she can handle the stressful situation she's in until they can extract her.

Sean still doesn't like Owen's plans. Let's see if he and/or Kota rebel and do their own thing. Does disaster loom?
  • prepgirls, ladybug4, LovinGBseries and 1 other like this

#8 AllthingsAcademy6547

AllthingsAcademy6547

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

This chapter was a great opener to the relationship between Dr. Green and Mr. Blackbourne. Did anyone notice how Mr. Blackbourne actually mentioned "Miss Sorensen" by her first name? This chapter had so many great points in it: the roses, the phone call, the arguments, and the insight. Black and Green had so many of these unseen pieces of the boys' lives and I'm excited to see more.

• prepgirls, StyledByGabe, LovinGBseries and 2 others like this

Reply to this topic