7 replies to this topic

#1 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

I've been re-reading the early books and something occured to me. As far as i know (correct me if I'm wrong!) But we don't know anything about Mrs Sorenson's parents apart from them being alive, but no longer in contact with them.

This combined with some of the things she said to Sang in the early books and how she said them made me consider the idea that maybe she had been abused by her parents in a similar way and was just repeating what she had learnt.

She got her paranoia of men from somewhere...and the idea of being tied up in a closet. The punishments are also not typical punishments, so it would make sense she got them from somewhere...

If she originally saw Mr Sorenson as a way to escape...we know he has no trouble lying to women, then was presented with a baby that was the result of whatever happened with his cousin, it would only reinforce what she was taught....that all men are evil and can't be trusted.

Of course this wouldn't excuse what she has done!! But is something to think about
  • LovinGBseries, AddictiveReader and gotmamadrama like this

#2 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have not thought much about mrs Sorensens background. It does make sense that she has been abused in the past. She certainly has some strange forms of punishment. Something I've always thought of as odd is that they don't have out any family photos. Not even wedding pictures or baby pics. Nothing personal or sentimental. Weird for a couple who have been married for at least 18 years. Maybe they married when mrs Sorensen got pregnant with marie? Mrs sorrenson could have seen this as a way to escape her home life? Or her family could have kicked her out?

We know Mr sorrenson cheated on his wife with sangs mom...he definitely has a pattern of infidelity and lying. I wonder just how many affairs he's had.I hope we get a little more background on these two.

I agree that it doesn't excuse the abuse mrs Sorensen has done herself but it might help to explain her crazy.
  • AddictiveReader and Lauralass like this

#3 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

I think it was the way in one of her talks where she emphasised SHE was the mom and she knew what she was doing...and she is so adamant that men are evil.

Yeah he sure does have a precedent for cheating. I know me too...we might learn more as the divorce goes through. Mrs Sorenson especially is gonna be throwing all the dirt she can.

It does explain the crazy. She probably got worse as Sang grew up...maybe starting to look like her mom. And the cancer and all the meds she has been taking probably didn't help

#4 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Being married to Mr sorrenson would also explain the whole men are evil thing lol :) we already know he likes younger women...sangs mom...and Carol I think is at least 10 years younger than he is. We don't know how many young women he's had relationships with during the time mrs Sorensen has known him. It could be that she is so disgusted with him that she now has an "all men are evil perverts" outlook on life.
  • gotmamadrama likes this

#5 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

True, she has probably seen a lot. He sure isn't the best example of how men should be...I'm suprised she put up with it for so long
  • Dbaz74@yahoo.com likes this

#6 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

True, she has probably seen a lot. He sure isn't the best example of how men should be...I'm suprised she put up with it for so long

Mr sorrenson seems to have a type. ..I don't think his wife has ever worked - at least not mentioned so far...and although carol worked it sounds like she wants to be a housewife with some kind of 1950s ideals. Somehow Mr sorrenson manages to let women think he's some great provider and will take care of them and all things in the family financially and otherwise. I think that might be why mrs Sorensen has put up with things so far. She could be scared to have to work and take care of herself and marie. And since she's been sick for so long - 7 years I think - it could be she hasn't had the mental or emotional capacity to deal with her marriage until now. I wonder if Mr sorrenson was hoping she'd die or even helping her along through neglect so he wouldn't have to deal with her.

#7 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

True it would have been scary thinking of starting over with a young child and no job...and then getting sick. It's a good reason for staying and ignoring everything until it became too much.

That is a valid theory...he sure wasn't a concerned husband...and who leaves their sick wife in the care of teenage girls, there is a strong case for neglect
  • Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

#8 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia , Pa

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

I've been re-reading the early books and something occured to me. As far as i know (correct me if I'm wrong!) But we don't know anything about Mrs Sorenson's parents apart from them being alive, but no longer in contact with them.
This combined with some of the things she said to Sang in the early books and how she said them made me consider the idea that maybe she had been abused by her parents in a similar way and was just repeating what she had learnt.
She got her paranoia of men from somewhere...and the idea of being tied up in a closet. The punishments are also not typical punishments, so it would make sense she got them from somewhere...
If she originally saw Mr Sorenson as a way to escape...we know he has no trouble lying to women, then was presented with a baby that was the result of whatever happened with his cousin, it would only reinforce what she was taught....that all men are evil and can't be trusted.
Of course this wouldn't excuse what she has done!! But is something to think about

Although some abuse in Mrs Sorensons past is possible that doesn't explain why sang is the only one being punished. I think a more likely explanation is that Mrs Sorenson is one of those women that wants the man so much that she pushes all of her hatred and resentment onto the child. I mean when he's home she has no problem sleeping next to him every night add to that the loathing and disgust she holds for Sang. Remember the scene where Sang herself notices her mother doesn't look at her. It's a combination of wanting Sang not to exist and every year sang growing more beautiful looking more like her birth mother. She might even in some twisted way be using the punishments as a surrogate form of dominance over Sang's birth mother who could be a rival in her mind.
  • LovinGBseries, Lauralass and Dbaz74@yahoo.com like this