#1 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia , Pa

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

I love Sang and the Blackbourne team but the academy itself I'm a little Leery of. I mean here is this organization of undetermined size with members in all facets of society. We don't know what their true purpose is we don't know who's funding them. Asking for something like packing up someone's camping equipment in an emergency involves a collection of favors. Yes they help people and give purpose to young people in troubled or abusive home but do they do that because it's the right thing or because it gives them grateful soldiers that are less likely to question. Some of the training they give these kids would make the f.b.I jealous. What kind of organization wants an abused girl to stay a ghost hidden from the government? Are they an offshoot of a government agency like the c.I.a .
  • Lauralass and Dbaz74@yahoo.com like this

#2 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:01 AM

I don't know about the train or being like the government. ..but the favor system makes sense to me. This is my perspective: Your family will help without any favors being asked or owed - which seems like most individuals of a healthy family dinamic. But if you need something done outside of that it involves favors - which in real life is like asking friends to help you move while you buy pizza and gas. I think the point is so you learn how to manage yourself and your own life...learn how to depend on other members of your family. ..so your first choice isn't always to rush off and ask someone else to solve your problems for you. At the same time the favor system does provide you with a network of help if you need it so you aren't left without help from an outside family source if needed.

The Academy seems complicated to me but not evil. I like the idea of providing help to folks who need it while using a structured system to instill personal responsibility. For some people it's easy to throw money at a problem to fix it. Much harder to use your personal time and emotional support to help someone. So far it sounds like the kids coming into the Academy haven't learned a lot of good base emotions and life lessons that would help them function as healthy happy adults. The Academy seems to help re train it's people with a set of values and tools to improve their personal lives.

I would have loved something like the Academy when I was that age :)
  • LovinGBseries, Lauralass and gotmamadrama like this

#3 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:46 AM

I don't know about the train or being like the government. ..but the favor system makes sense to me. This is my perspective: Your family will help without any favors being asked or owed - which seems like most individuals of a healthy family dinamic. But if you need something done outside of that it involves favors - which in real life is like asking friends to help you move while you buy pizza and gas. I think the point is so you learn how to manage yourself and your own life...learn how to depend on other members of your family. ..so your first choice isn't always to rush off and ask someone else to solve your problems for you. At the same time the favor system does provide you with a network of help if you need it so you aren't left without help from an outside family source if needed.
The Academy seems complicated to me but not evil. I like the idea of providing help to folks who need it while using a structured system to instill personal responsibility. For some people it's easy to throw money at a problem to fix it. Much harder to use your personal time and emotional support to help someone. So far it sounds like the kids coming into the Academy haven't learned a lot of good base emotions and life lessons that would help them function as healthy happy adults. The Academy seems to help re train it's people with a set of values and tools to improve their personal lives.
I would have loved something like the Academy when I was that age :)

I appreciate your perspective. I think maybe some of my opinions on the academy are based on some of the things I learned about when I got older involving some of the things governmental agencies like the f.b.i and c.I.a were involved with without our knowledge. In the sense that even an entity created for good could have some gray or black pockets.

#4 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

I appreciate your perspective. I think maybe some of my opinions on the academy are based on some of the things I learned about when I got older involving some of the things governmental agencies like the f.b.i and c.I.a were involved with without our knowledge. In the sense that even an entity created for good could have some gray or black pockets.

Definitely from that perspective I understand where you are coming from. I get that way with different religious organizations and feelings akin to cults lol :) any large organization that screens membership and is surrounded in secrecy is scary. The control of few over the many makes most people uncomfortable.
  • gotmamadrama likes this

#5 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

On the surface it seems like a great idea. Taking kids from broken or troubled homes and giving them a family, people they can count on and learn how to be a family with. They teach them skills, encourage them to pursue their interests, and help other people where they can too...seems pretty perfect, but too perfect maybe??

I fully trust our guys obviously and believe they are great guys who found each other and have become their own family. They are what the Academy is about.

However, the Academy as a whole may not be entirely innocent. It may well have started out that way...with people aiming to help kids become something greater and find a purpose for their lives. But it is now so big and with so many different families it is hard to believe that they have all remained true to the original goal and that it hasn't been twisted or altered somewhere within it
  • Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

#6 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Crazy between books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

No group of people is without its outliers. There will always some people who will seek to use things, even good things, for bad reasons. That said, the Academy seems to be quite connected and dedicated to their higher purposes. They seem to have an involved an ongoing process for membership. While they do operate as individual teams, they do work through a central structure. Their Academy jobs come from that structure. Work is sometimes done with teams together or an individual from one team working with another team. They also have at least one annual gathering and other camps and training ongoing. There are ongoing reviews of individuals and teams. That doesn't mean it's impossible for some darker less noble things to be taking place but it seems far less likely to me. On the other hand, a group that excels at manipulating others lives, even for the best reasons, and are able to make bad people go places where they can't hurt others does leave room for concern. Like I hope I never seriously upset the group concern. From what we've seen though, I suspect if I did my life would be redirected without my knowledge and probably for the good of all concerned, including myself.

Stated purpose and intents are not as important as a review of outcomes. So far, the Academy seems to be keeping themselves powerful and effective without crossing the line to abuse of power or too much power in any limited number of people's hands. I wish they did exist in reality.

#7 MrsBlackbourne

MrsBlackbourne

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:43 AM

For me, Kaylie and the SB series has been more helpful with finding out about Academy inner workings than GB has. Probably because Kaylie is super inquisitive..

But I totally get your concern! My first thought is that this is just a group of people wanting to make the world a better place by using the skills and network they have access to. I would totally join in real life! But there's always a bad apple right? I wonder if this was CL's exact line of thought when she came up with Volto (I'm not totally convinced the he doesn't have an ex-Academy cohort). And especially seeing Kyaylie's distrust of the Academy, I don't think we're meant to totally trust them ourselves.
  • Lauralass, Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

#8 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

I agree with a lot of your points,but for example we never really found out what happened to Muriel she just disappeared location unknown. I know team Blackbourne are above board but does the academy have it's own version of darksites they can make a person disappear? What about mental hospitals do they have people working in one so they can admit someone under false pretenses? I also can't help but think the higher up you are the more you know that other members don't. Then there's the fact that different teams seem to have their own special skill set. The guys just might not be privy to some of the darker assignments because of how old they are and what the academy thinks they excel at.