13 replies to this topic

#1 helpful2468

helpful2468

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Ok, so after reading and rereading Black and Green I saw similarities and differences between Mrs. Sorenson and Carol. For people who did not read the Black and Green don't read dither or be forever angry at spoilers. 😈😈😈

Ok in comparison both ladies have a controlling streak a mile long, have a obsession with cleanliness, getting rid of Sang, and etc. The most distinctive difference between the two is that Carol gives you a false sense of security to control you while Mrs. Sorenson does a more direct route. Anyone with any other comments.
  • purplecherryblossom and Dbaz74@yahoo.com like this

#2 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

To me I see the two women like this: mrs s is vicious and physically violent as well as emotionally abusive. Mentally psychotic. Carol is emotionally manipulative, controlling, self absorbed, and delusional. Both seem to not care about anyone but themselves. The biggest monster I think is Mr s. His neglect and lies seem so much worse to me.
  • helpful2468 and gotmamadrama like this

#3 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia , Pa

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

To me I see the two women like this: mrs s is vicious and physically violent as well as emotionally abusive. Mentally psychotic. Carol is emotionally manipulative, controlling, self absorbed, and delusional. Both seem to not care about anyone but themselves. The biggest monster I think is Mr s. His neglect and lies seem so much worse to me.

I totally agree that Mr Sorenson is the biggest monster out of the three. His absolute lack of empathy in the face of what Sang has suffered all because of him is appalling. He sees nothing wrong with her continuing to suffer as long as he can have what he wants. He doesn't even seem to feel any guilt for what his actions have caused. When it comes to comparing Mrs Sorenson and Carol I can't decide who's more dangerous and contemptible. Carol reminds me of Ms Umbridge from the Harry Potter books she's strict,old fashioned and has your best interests at heart on the surface. But inside she's coldhearted and viscous if you don't fit into the mold of what she expected or God help you disappoint her she has no real use for you. Mrs Sorenson is just completely open with her cruelty and crazy. You can't tell me she didn't get some sadistic satisfaction from some of the things she did to Sang. She's definitely the most deadly of the three because when she's in a rage she's uncontrollable.

Mr Sorenson controls you with the promise of affection. When Gabriel rescued Sang from the closet and they were leaving he didn't get Sang to stay with Marie by ordering or threatening he got her to stay by playing to her sense of duty and showing her some emotion. He pleaded with her not to go made it seem like he might give a damn when really he just wanted to be sure that when the time came to make them go to the boarding school it would be easy on him to locate both girls. I don't think he would care if Marie ran away other than having to deal with Mrs Sorenson who he believes has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Sang's a lying troublemaker my behind.

Carol controls with structure and by letting you see freedom before she takes it away. She's all about everything in it's place including you. Every aspect of your life is spent under her scrutiny. She uses false caring to get you to comply. Look at all of the on the surface small but insidious things she did to Sang . When she showed up Sang had friends,a job that gave her some financial independence and school. In the span of a week she had our girl a prisoner. "Oh your such a good student" but " you'll never get into a good private school with that attendance" knowing the whole time she wasn't letting her from under her thumb regardless." You have a job I like that it shows initiative" as she orders her to quit. Sure ask the boy who likes you over for supper so I can throw him at you sister your just too young to date. Her evil is the kind that leaves little cracks until you finally shatter and once you shatter she throws you away.

I want to say Mrs Sorenson is just a sledgehammer pounding through everything in her wake but some of the triggers she psychologically planted into Sang's mind are too deliberate and calculating. She might have been steadily breaking down but her ability to break Sang down almost makes me think she's part reptile. Here she was meeting out these cruel and unwarranted punishments that she knew were wrong when she did them. She may have been heavily medicated and blacked out some of it but that doesn't mean she was completely unaware of what she was doing or didn't enjoy it. Like the fact when Mr Sorenson came home and found Sang had kneeled in rice he asked her why and she lied saying Sang stole money from her. That shows a least to me she was cognizant that her punishments were wrong and may have been covering for herself all these years. Then add the fact that she wanted Sang to have no respite enforcing in her head that outside was an evil place. That men would see something in her that would make them tear her to pieces and it would be her fault.

Sorry about the novel everyone. I go in trying to stay on point but I always seem to go off track.
  • helpful2468, Jme 1983, Dbaz74@yahoo.com and 1 other like this

#4 helpful2468

helpful2468

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:19 AM

I totally agree that Mr Sorenson is the biggest monster out of the three. His absolute lack of empathy in the face of what Sang has suffered all because of him is appalling. He sees nothing wrong with her continuing to suffer as long as he can have what he wants. He doesn't even seem to feel any guilt for what his actions have caused. When it comes to comparing Mrs Sorenson and Carol I can't decide who's more dangerous and contemptible. Carol reminds me of Ms Umbridge from the Harry Potter books she's strict,old fashioned and has your best interests at heart on the surface. But inside she's coldhearted and viscous if you don't fit into the mold of what she expected or God help you disappoint her she has no real use for you. Mrs Sorenson is just completely open with her cruelty and crazy. You can't tell me she didn't get some sadistic satisfaction from some of the things she did to Sang. She's definitely the most deadly of the three because when she's in a rage she's uncontrollable.

Mr Sorenson controls you with the promise of affection. When Gabriel rescued Sang from the closet and they were leaving he didn't get Sang to stay with Marie by ordering or threatening he got her to stay by playing to her sense of duty and showing her some emotion. He pleaded with her not to go made it seem like he might give a damn when really he just wanted to be sure that when the time came to make them go to the boarding school it would be easy on him to locate both girls. I don't think he would care if Marie ran away other than having to deal with Mrs Sorenson who he believes has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Sang's a lying troublemaker my behind.

Carol controls with structure and by letting you see freedom before she takes it away. She's all about everything in it's place including you. Every aspect of your life is spent under her scrutiny. She uses false caring to get you to comply. Look at all of the on the surface small but insidious things she did to Sang . When she showed up Sang had friends,a job that gave her some financial independence and school. In the span of a week she had our girl a prisoner. "Oh your such a good student" but " you'll never get into a good private school with that attendance" knowing the whole time she wasn't letting her from under her thumb regardless." You have a job I like that it shows initiative" as she orders her to quit. Sure ask the boy who likes you over for supper so I can throw him at you sister your just too young to date. Her evil is the kind that leaves little cracks until you finally shatter and once you shatter she throws you away.

I want to say Mrs Sorenson is just a sledgehammer pounding through everything in her wake but some of the triggers she psychologically planted into Sang's mind are too deliberate and calculating. She might have been steadily breaking down but her ability to break Sang down almost makes me think she's part reptile. Here she was meeting out these cruel and unwarranted punishments that she knew were wrong when she did them. She may have been heavily medicated and blacked out some of it but that doesn't mean she was completely unaware of what she was doing or didn't enjoy it. Like the fact when Mr Sorenson came home and found Sang had kneeled in rice he asked her why and she lied saying Sang stole money from her. That shows a least to me she was cognizant that her punishments were wrong and may have been covering for herself all these years. Then add the fact that she wanted Sang to have no respite enforcing in her head that outside was an evil place. That men would see something in her that would make them tear her to pieces and it would be her fault.

Sorry about the novel everyone. I go in trying to stay on point but I always seem to go off track.

Correct on both observations with gotmamadrama and Dbaz74. If I have to give a criminal profile to either woman is that Carol is like a master serial killer that is able to lure her victim into a false security before stiking for the kill. Mrs Sorenson on the other hand I would compare to the investigators during the Salem Witch Hunts. 

• Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

#5 Two-Bit

Two-Bit

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco bay area, CA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:38 AM

Carol reminds me of Ms Umbridge from the Harry Potter books she's strict,old fashioned and has your best interests at heart on the surface. But inside she's coldhearted and viscous if you don't fit into the mold of what she expected or God help you disappoint her she has no real use for you. 

;)  From the point forward I will see Carol as Imelda Staunton dressed in a pink 50's style getup. Thats awesome!!

• AddictiveReader, Jme 1983, Dbaz74@yahoo.com and 1 other like this

#6 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:09 AM

Correct on both observations with gotmamadrama and Dbaz74. If I have to give a criminal profile to either woman is that Carol is like a master serial killer that is able to lure her victim into a false security before stiking for the kill. Mrs Sorenson on the other hand I would compare to the investigators during the Salem Witch Hunts.

I agree with your analogy. They both wanted something markedly different from Sang. I really do believe that as Sang grew older looking more and more like her mother Mrs Sorenson only partly because of her illness started to see Sang as her birth mother's surrogate or avatar . Despite her venom when it came to Mr Sorenson she's a weak woman. Sang is literally the physical embodiment of the other woman who if she was sane and had an ounce of empathy was probably a victim of her husband's. Instead she made this child that loved her and longed for her approval the brunt of all of her rage. Like Hera in Greek mythology who was always on her if that harlot hadn't enticed my husband and it's Hercules, Perseus etc etc fault my husband turned from me.

Carol on the other hand just wanted total control of her environment. She probably saw Sang as someone else she could overrule and mold. I have no doubt that in time if Sang had fought back she would have resorted to punishments as well but hers would have been psychological with the intention of breaking Sangs spirit and gaining complete compliance.
  • Dbaz74@yahoo.com likes this

#7 Dbaz74@yahoo.com

Dbaz74@yahoo.com

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

Correct on both observations with gotmamadrama and Dbaz74. If I have to give a criminal profile to either woman is that Carol is like a master serial killer that is able to lure her victim into a false security before stiking for the kill. Mrs Sorenson on the other hand I would compare to the investigators during the Salem Witch Hunts.

Love this :D

#8 Lauralass

Lauralass

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

I think they are similar in that they are both dangerous...but in different ways. Mrs Sorenson is outright dangerous, physically and mentally. I have no doubt that if the guys hadn't been there, she would have ended up killing Sang as a result of a punishment. It may not have happened as quickly as it did, but Sang has grown up, probably looking increasingly like her mom and she doesn't like the constant reminder of what happened.
However, Carol is dangerous in a more subtle way. She goes about it in a nice way...seeming to show that she has your best interests at heart. North said it best when he said 'she asks you in a nice way'. But again there is a danger that she would drown a person and someone like Sang could lose all that makes them them and become little more than the 'doll' Carol seems to want.

As for Mr Sorenson he's just a waste of space and has no right to call himself a father!!!
  • Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

#9 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

As for Mr Sorenson he's just a waste of space and has no right to call himself a father!!!

I completely agree I hope as the story progresses there is some karma coming for Sangs family. Especially her dad he is the root cause of all of this. Plus he was the one person that should have protected Sang at all cost. Yes I know Marie was ignored and it's affected her greatly but Sang has just suffered so much at the hands of everyone through no fault of her own.
  • Lauralass, Jme 1983 and Dbaz74@yahoo.com like this

#10 briana_elisaa

briana_elisaa

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:16 AM

Mrs. S and Carol are both emotionally manipulative, however they're manipulative in different ways.

Mrs. S uses fear in order to force her children into complete submission to her, fear of the outside world, fear of people, fear of HER. By forcing horror stories of murder and rape down their throats, combined with the threat of the chair, kneeling, etc., she can manipulate Marie and Sang to do what she says. They're afraid of both the stories she tells, despite their obvious doubts, as well as being afraid of Mrs. S's punishments.  This emotional manipulation makes them submissive to her, and also makes her one of the only people they interact with. With Mr. S basically absent, Mrs. S is the only real person that they have any kind of human relationship, making them not only submissive to her, but completely dependent on her, especially since Mr. S goes along with whatever she says. She's able to use the fear that Marie and Sang have to get them to go along with basically whatever she says and does, especially because of her position of power over them, she's their mother. 

Carol, on the other hand, uses well placed words and "understanding" to manipulate them into doing what she wants. She has her image of the perfect family, what is expected of each member, how the children should act, what they should do with their lives, who they should date. On the surface, it SEEMS like she just wants them to have the best opportunities, good grades, good partners, good manners, she wants them to BE good, to HAVE good things, however skewed her definition of "good" is (honestly if Sean Green isn't considered "good" idk what is, but hat's besides the point). Because she wants what's GOOD for them, she's able to lure them, especially Sang, into a false sense of security, that she will mainly let Sang continue as she's been doing, as for a teenage girl basically on her own, she's doing very well, good grades, a job, healthy peer relationships, she's not doing drugs, drinking alcohol, she's not pregnant. However, it's not CAROL'S definition of good, she doesn't dress the way she wants, have the "right" kind of job or the "right" kind of friends, but to a teenager, who's so young, and doesn't know that much about the world.. maybe she's right? and thus she's able to manipulate them into going along with what she says (it doesn't work completely because Marie doesn't think Carol wants the best for her and Sang has her own opinions on what's best for her, but Carol is able to get to them at least a little bit, and she obviously has her son believing her).

• Lauralass, Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

the cutie in my display picture is bang yongguk, leader, composer, and rapper of b.a.p <3

#11 gotmamadrama

gotmamadrama

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:11 AM

Mrs. S uses fear in order to force her children into complete submission to her, fear of the outside world, fear of people, fear of HER. By forcing horror stories of murder and rape down their throats, combined with the threat of the chair, kneeling, etc., she can manipulate Marie and Sang to do what she says. They're afraid of both the stories she tells, despite their obvious doubts, as well as being afraid of Mrs. S's punishments. This emotional manipulation makes them submissive to her, and also makes her one of the only people they interact with. With Mr. S basically absent, Mrs. S is the only real person that they have any kind of human relationship, making them not only submissive to her, but completely dependent on her, especially since Mr. S goes along with whatever she says. She's able to use the fear that Marie and Sang have to get them to go along with basically whatever she says and does, especially because of her position of power over them, she's their mother.

I agree with that regarding Sang but I think Marie is a whole different story. Mrs Sorenson seemed to put a lot of effort into manipulating and dominating Sang. Marie on the other hand was ignored by Mrs Sorenson and that gave her greater freedom. I think Marie being like her mother observed the relationship with Sang and her mother and even though she resents the attention she thinks Sang receives she uses it to her benefit. She realized she could get away with murder all she had to do was point the finger at Sang her mother's obsession and what ever she does is forgotten. I mean we don't know much about their life in Illinois but we do know Marie had friends she got leftover makeup from,never really has to do chores those are for Sang and her only punishment is being sent to her room. Look at how unconcerned she is about being caught going to see Danielle. I have no doubt that even if her mother found out she had made a friend she wouldn't be punished or made to give up the friendship. Mrs Sorenson whole focus is keeping Sang hidden while taking anything that could bring her happiness away. The hag probably thinks Sangs mother took her happiness so she'll destroy her daughter piece by piece.
  • Dbaz74@yahoo.com likes this

#12 academylover

academylover

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

I agree Mr S is the one to mostly blame for whats happened to her. If he actually showed that he cared for Sang and stood up to her this wouldn't have happened to her. I think there is more to the story between Mr S and Sangs real mother that's why he doesn't stick up to her. I wish he had bit of a back bone to stick up for his daughter and not let the women in his life control. I really want to know what goes in his head and what he thinks about everything that's happened. C.L. Stone should probably do a chapter from his point of view to it'll be really interesting.

• Lauralass, Dbaz74@yahoo.com and gotmamadrama like this

#13 LovinGBseries

LovinGBseries

Crazy between books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

I agree Mr S is the one to mostly blame for whats happened to her. If he actually showed that he cared for Sang and stood up to her this wouldn't have happened to her. I think there is more to the story between Mr S and Sangs real mother that's why he doesn't stick up to her. I wish he had bit of a back bone to stick up for his daughter and not let the women in his life control. I really want to know what goes in his head and what he thinks about everything that's happened. C.L. Stone should probably do a chapter from his point of view to it'll be really interesting.

Sorry. Disagree. That is a POV I do NOT want. The most I think I could handle is if he honestly comes clean with Sang about her past and she believes him and the team says that the facts match what they can find.

Going down the rabbit hole of Mr S's mind, a mind that has him behave the way he does and with his apparent history, sounds like a place I don't want to be.
  • AddictiveReader, Lauralass and Dbaz74@yahoo.com like this

#14 academylover

academylover

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

When you put it like thatI agree with you, we'll probably need a whole book and an open mind to understand what he did :) .