#1 klk13

klk13

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

I have been trying to figure this out on my own for nearly one/two years now.

I don't want to spoil the reveal for anyone, but I do like trying to solve the mysteries in books whether I'm right or wrong.

I would love to hear what other people's theories are on who Volto is.

(this chat could potentially contain spoilers for those not up to date with the series)

#2 Jme 1983

Jme 1983

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

I have always thought there was more than one person involved...that at least the main or initial volto was either rejected from the academy or a person who rejected the academy before induction... or a person displaced because of their negative connection to an academy family member or saw someone displaced...because of their focus on the Blackbourne team, I think this instigator was directly connected to of the boys, in particular owen....Sean said that both of them had little success with other teams prior to being paired with each other...I think that the clue about Max not barking is either pivotal or the greatest red herring ever...gah! Every time I go over all the details I drive myself crazy...I do not think it is Sean's mother as I believe someone else was hinting at....I think there is some connection with Karen and Derrick and even for awhile suspected the teacher...yeesh...what about the rest of you?

#3 familyfirst10

familyfirst10

Applicant/Testing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:13 AM

Omg I just read about the theory that Mr blackbourne is volto!! After everything he's done to help his family i don't see why he'd do this to them especially sang who he has told needs to trust them vice versa. From his initial reaction to her I couldn't see him doing something to hurt her.

#4 emross1931

emross1931

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:16 AM

Omg I just read about the theory that Mr blackbourne is volto!! After everything he's done to help his family i don't see why he'd do this to them especially sang who he has told needs to trust them vice versa. From his initial reaction to her I couldn't see him doing something to hurt her.

It also doesn’t really work cause, you know, Volto stole his car while Mr. Blackbourne was chasing him with the others.

#5 klk13

klk13

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:00 AM

I don't think Mr. Blackbourne works.

I don't know about it being more than one person, I think Volto uses other people, like with Muriel.

Max not barking being a red herring is a good theory, cause there are ways to make them submissive and to stop them from barking.

I think Karen is only involved cause of Hendricks, not Volto.

Derrick seems to laid back and Sang has spent enough time with to pick up on smells. I was thinking about Micah or Tom.

What do we know about Volto so far?

#6 Jme 1983

Jme 1983

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

Maybe I need to clarify...I did not mean the Owen is volto, only that this person is connected to Owens past somehow...
  • Killasmalls23 likes this

#7 klk13

klk13

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

Ah okay. I know I said not long ago I didn't think it was Karen, now I'm not so sure.

Sang's phone got replace in HoK at the football game where the screen and fog machines get rigged, Karen and Derrick were both there.

I'm so confused!

#8 helpful2468

helpful2468

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

No, I think Volto is only one person.

#9 Ann

Ann

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

I go back and forth between Karen and Will.  Karen is main suspect for now. From the clues so far, I think Volto is Karen for the time being.

#10 klk13

klk13

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

The one thing that makes me think it wasn't Karen was that Max didn't bark at when Volto was putting the masks in Kota's windows, yet Karen had never been around before.

Derrick is on my suspect list, but he seems more interested in Marie than Sang.

There's Micah and Tom who we've met but didn't get to know really well, but they've lived nearby long enough that I doubt Max would bark at them.

Or is Max not barking just meant to throw us all off?

#11 Ann

Ann

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

Some  of the reasons, I think its Karen because she likes Sang. She knows Derrick and that is how she learn about the Academy  and why she is only focus on that group. Some of the issues Derrick brought up about the Academy are basically the same issues that Volto brought up. During the football game Karen let is slip that her and Derrick hang around during school now. Maybe Karen been to Derrick house and that's how Max knows of her. 

• SouthEastAcademy likes this

#12 helpful2468

helpful2468

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:40 AM

The one thing that makes me think it wasn't Karen was that Max didn't bark at when Volto was putting the masks in Kota's windows, yet Karen had never been around before.
Derrick is on my suspect list, but he seems more interested in Marie than Sang.
There's Micah and Tom who we've met but didn't get to know really well, but they've lived nearby long enough that I doubt Max would bark at them.
Or is Max not barking just meant to throw us all off?

Can’t be those two they’re much shorter than the boys and Sang.

#13 TJT1997

TJT1997

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

I don't think it's Wil, he is still missing in Scarub Beetle. So he shouldn't know about the Academy since he hasn't spoken to his sister. Also I don't see him getting close to Max.

#14 Snowbird13

Snowbird13

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

I hope LCR gives us more clues since B&G did not. I am still going with Jay as my top suspect. Since Volto beat Luke and is obviously athletic you can rule out anyone under 16 or elderly.

#15 MSWB

MSWB

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

I don't think it's Wil, he is still missing in Scarub Beetle. So he shouldn't know about the Academy since he hasn't spoken to his sister. Also I don't see him getting close to Max.

I actually would draw the opposite conclusion... perhaps Wil hasn't spoken to his sister and is still in hiding from her BECAUSE she's with the Academy.  I think he loves Kayli.  He ran away to try to make her life easier and, even though he hasn't spoken to her directly, I like to think that he tries to keep tabs on her from afar (especially if we assume he has hacking skills).  If he's discovered information about the Academy that looks shady from the outside, or if someone has given him twisted information (e.g. Hendricks), he could be in the mindset of "these people kidnapped/brainwashed my sister; I must save Sang from the same fate."  

So, assuming Wil's not completely oblivious to what's going on with Kayli, I think that's a point in favor of him being Volto... or in league with Volto, at least.

• Leesharose and north.chicago.street like this

#16 TJT1997

TJT1997

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

I'm going through from the beginning again in anticipation of the new book. my theory is that it is Mr. McCoy who uses Will and Derrick. With Will he can hold over his head that he is riding in from somewhere else, and Will would not want his sister to get mixed up in whatever threat that is being used. (so he would stop going home, to keep her out of it) I'm not sure what he could have on Derrick, maybe  nothing just Derrick doesn't like Kota and the guys. Together they can get the masks hung up. McCoy is the one stealing the car and wearing the mask. Derrick and Will are willing/unwilling pawns. Mr. McCoy is a creeper who likes to pray on shy vulnerable young girls, an is angry that the Academy boys have stopped him from being able to pray on not only Sang, but also any other girl with similar personality.

#17 emross1931

emross1931

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

You know, people have mentioned Max not barking being a major hint, but Volto's a pretty smart person. If Max isn't nearby in order to see this person, and all he catches is the scent they have, all Volto has to do is steal some of the boys clothes (not hard to do with two of them being on the football team and two of them having lockers in the gym) and then wear them over to the house. 

And that's not including the fact that Gabe gives each and every one of them colognes. All he needs to do is get a hold of one.

#18 TJT1997

TJT1997

Closed Adoptant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

Has then been any spoiler on when this will be reviled?

#19 vm-pb-sn

vm-pb-sn

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

I read all the books again this month to have everything fresh in my mind for LCR and a few things stuck out to me.  Spoiler for LCR in the middle, I'll warn again before I get there.

My #1 suspect (besides my conspiracy theory that it's Cody from the restaurant) is that Volto is Jay.  However, after my re-read I picked up that Sang describes Jay as a "brick wall" -- or something to that effect, I can't remember the exact wording.  I believe this was in First Days.  Then in THPOS when Luke tackles Volto, Luke describes him as sort of regular, nothing stood out and that maybe it even could have been a tall girl with small boobs.  I think Jay's stature would be easy to describe.  If Volto was Jay, Luke's description would have been clearer (ex: he was big, muscular etc.)  So he's off my list.

My next suspect was Wil.  He was always in the story just enough to forget about, but always in the background enough to remember him when he interacted with Sang.  The fact that he has hacking skills, can be in and out of school whenever and is on his own can be proof it would be easy for him to be Volto.  Then I read LCR
**SPOILERS BELOW***
Wil has a new job in this book and the timing just doesn't add up.  He couldn't have been working and Volto at the same time.  Plus the way he was protective of Sang in this scene was different than the way Volto is "protective" (at least in my opinion).  I won't say anymore about it to not spoil the book, but once you read LCR it will make sense.  So I crossed Wil off my list.
****END SPOILER****

That leaves Karen.  I'm still not convinced it's her, but I would need to read the books again to try and pick up Karen clues since she was last on my list I wasn't really paying attention to her.  Things that make me wonder...yes she's an athletic girl, but can she really over power the guys??  I know Luke was sick that one time and therefore weaker.  Her conversation with Sang at the football game about dating all the guys and kissing etc. doesn't feel like something Volto would talk to Sang about if Karen is Volto.  Unless Karen as Volto was just fishing for info on the guys.  Also did we see Karen at school after the guys crashed into Volto with the car in DoD?

Sorry for all the rambling lol!! I just wish Volto would stop with the games!  If Volto really wants to help and wants Sang out of danger he needs to tell them where the money is that Hendricks is stealing and how he is doing it!!  The team's job would be over and Sang would be out of danger!

• Laura G and gotmamadrama like this

#20 emross1931

emross1931

In Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:18 PM

Just finished LCR...this wasn’t what I was expecting. But I have to say, there is still a chance it’s not her. It could be the sister. Though unlikely.
  • gotmamadrama and Killasmalls23 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: volto, mystery, theories, sang, academy